G0516 Chip Pan

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

bobz3denver

G0516 Chip Pan

Post by bobz3denver »

I recently bought a Grizzly G0516. I have it all cleaned up, but it's sitting on a rickety office desk that I put some casters under. This is definitely not a permanent solution. The first problem to solve is getting a chip pan because I see a need for a lube system. I'm seriously considering casting one from concrete. It'd be inexpensive and I'm thinking the extra mass couldn't hurt. Can someone save me from my madness and suggest a pan from another lathe that would work?

Update - I'm finding several solutions. Kennel pans, Boot trays, leak-proof storage trays, seeding trays. There is a selection of materials. The plastics are interesting because I think they'd tend to hide scratches, would be a little kinder to dropped tools, and would dampen the noise from all the chatter I'm going to make until I learn how to use this thing. Any comments??

Oh - and I'm phlosophically reluctant to go somewhere else for a custom part. After all, making custom parts myself is the core reason for this entire exercise.
Last edited by bobz3denver on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no rules here, we're trying to accomplish something!
Torch

Re: G0516 Chip Pan

Post by Torch »

large commercial cookie sheet?

Have one bent up at the local high school or HVAC shop?
torchmd

Post by torchmd »

Hey!

I found a large drip pan at the loca NAPA parts store that worked pretty well. I did minor modifications to it to bring the edges up a bit, but in hind site it wasn't necessary. That was 15$ I think.

Also you could bend your own from sheet steel or galvanized sheet. Measure out how big you want the bottom, add on the height you want on the sides, cut the corners, use two pieces of angle iron to fold the sides, then solder the corners up, and roll the edges. ( Guy Latards "Machinests Bedside Reader" has a neat tool to roll the edges. Cool books. I highly recommend them...)

To decrease the chatter on the G0516' I recommend fixing the compound base. It makes a huge difference. Check out the Yahoo group for pictures inn the G0516 group.

Have fun.
bobz3denver

Post by bobz3denver »

Torchmd, I found a source for used aluminum printing press plates. The price is definitely right! And, yes, the compound mounting is clearly weak. I'm seeing the "back" of the compound lift by almost 1/8" when I get caught by a chip during a cutoff. I'm thinking it'll be this weekend's project.
There are no rules here, we're trying to accomplish something!
RetroWoody

Post by RetroWoody »

Although I have yet to run my machine (See other thread :roll: )I went to my local restaurant supply store and bought 2 larget baking sheets for about $6 each. They are 2 feet long and about 18 inches wide. They have about a 1 inch lip with rolled edges. When they are next to each other, I have an upside down "V" tent of aluminum sheet over the 2 edges where they meet to keep fluid/oil off of the table.

It also has plenty of room to hold my small stainless food pan (for a steaming table) that is about 12"x6"x4" that holds my Allens, wrenches, chuck keys, scribe, etc.

I think I have about $15 in the setup.