Sherline tools

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Hudson Honey

Sherline tools

Post by Hudson Honey »

Hello all,

As some of you know, I work for Sherline Products Inc. and have been with them now for almost 17 years.

I inquired about offering something to my fellow steamers.

to any one on this board Sherline will offer a 15% savings on anything.

please contact me Directly either here in PM or at: Pamela@Sherline.com.

I'm pretty sure a number of you guys have been tossing around the idea of a small machine to do small detail parts....drop me a line and I'll get ya set up.

If you are not sure of what is offered, check out: www.sherline.com

Pamela
Adirondack

Re: Sherline tools

Post by Adirondack »

Hudson Honey wrote:Hello all,

As some of you know, I work for Sherline Products Inc. and have been with them now for almost 17 years.

I inquired about offering something to my fellow steamers.

to any one on this board Sherline will offer a 15% savings on anything.

please contact me Directly either here in PM or at: Pamela@Sherline.com.

I'm pretty sure a number of you guys have been tossing around the idea of a small machine to do small detail parts....drop me a line and I'll get ya set up.

If you are not sure of what is offered, check out: http://www.sherline.com

Pamela
Now THAT is tempting Pam! I've been thinking about some small machines for my 3 1/2" gauge equipment

Thanks

ADK
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
kvom

Post by kvom »

The CNC lathe is tempting. None of the pics show a tool post however. Are there any pics of the toolpost and holders for the lathe?

I'm also wondering if the spindle speed is controlled by the computer or manually.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

we have a variety of tool posts...there is a section on the web site that shows all of them.....

personally I use the quick change set up with all carbide insert holders...saves so much time. set your height once and go....having a selection of holders with various tools in it makes turning ops quick and easy.

the spinde speed is set manually...however ..there are possible future plans to integrate that into the computer by using a servo motor instead of a DC motor...however cost is and will be the issue there.

Pamela
kvom

Post by kvom »

It appears that EMC2 doesn't support any turning or facing canned cycles. Is that the case? If so, then the CAM system needs to define roughing and finishing passes with G1/2/3 codes.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

That's correct.

Pamela
kvom

Post by kvom »

Some more ? on these: it looks as if the CNC versions use the same leadscrews as the manual, vs. ballscrews. For Z axis, backlash can be handled by starting each pass outside the work. How does EMC handle X-axis backlash? I didn't see any specs on accuracy/repeatability in the docs. Also, can you give the spindle power in HP?

Thanks
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

there is an electronic back lash compensator that is set for each axis...it's works quite well.

hp....1/5. doesn't sound like alot, but I have cut bizzarre stuf like tungsten and iconel on my machines as well as hardened 4340 gun bolts and german transmission gears. so the machines have no trouble with power. the DC drive is varible...plus there is a 2 step pulley. RPM range is 70-2800 for th standard machines....we also offer a 10,000 rpm pulley system but the bearings get kinda warm with that set up.

Pamela
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

Hi Pam
I see the new facility you have is awesome, including the views out their. Speaking of which, is that a plumber I see bent over by the mazak H400N in the second production facility photo? :mrgreen:
Dwight Ennis

Post by Dwight Ennis »

kvom wrote:It appears that EMC2 doesn't support any turning or facing canned cycles. Is that the case? If so, then the CAM system needs to define roughing and finishing passes with G1/2/3 codes.
Mach 3 works perfectly well with Sherline and supports much that EMC2 doesn't. There are Sherline profile files for Mach 3 out on the web.