which aluminum ?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

sml2010

which aluminum ?

Post by sml2010 »

Hi to all

I want build a CNC machine for our job. My CNC machine use for industrial application not for education . We want use aluminum material for our machine’s bed and stracures. I know , The CNC machines that use in industrial application build by polymer material, cast iron or ..... but force and stress is too low in our job and our CNC machine so we want use a aluminum material, but we don’t know which type of aluminum material can damp very good the stresses and also be enough tough and solid.

Can you please help us to select a good type of aluminum?

Thank you
Mid Day Machining

Re: which aluminum ?

Post by Mid Day Machining »

I would consider 7050 aluminum for your application. That is what is used in the airframes on several Boeing aircraft. It is strong and absorbs some vibration.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
BClem

Post by BClem »

Or for similar toughness and superior corrosion resistance - as well as weld-ability - 5086 alloy. The ways should be anodized and polished in any case....
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I would buy some cast iron rectangle for making machine ways. I thought about building a CNC mill with aluminum and some friends discouraged me from using aluminum so I used cast iron.

How to build a CNC mill

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Check out this catalog: www.80/20.net
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Take samples hold them up and tap with hammer.
The one that clanks the most is good.
The ones that rings like a bell is bad.
My test here was between 6061 and mic 6 and mic 6 sounded better.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

sml2010 wrote:Hi to all

I want build a CNC machine for our job. My CNC machine use for industrial application not for education . We want use aluminum material for our machine’s bed and stracures. I know , The CNC machines that use in industrial application build by polymer material, cast iron or ..... but force and stress is too low in our job and our CNC machine so we want use a aluminum material, but we don’t know which type of aluminum material can damp very good the stresses and also be enough tough and solid.

Can you please help us to select a good type of aluminum?

Thank you
6061-T651 is a good strong alloy along with 6063, 80-20 aluminum extrusions. 6061 is the least expensive alloy compared to the 2000 and 7000 series alloys (aircraft quality). MIc 6 is nice if you need a ground precision surface, but you will pay through the nose for it and it is available only as ground plate. The only time I would use Mic 6 is if it were laying around as scrap or surplus.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi