Drill Press Vise Mods

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

platypus20

Drill Press Vise Mods

Post by platypus20 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 pm

About 4-5 months ago I modified the drill press vises in the shop, to grip round items. Clamping down round items in a vise with flat jaws has been a joy, trying to hold it to drill, without it moving. I first saw this trick in my grandfather's machine shop in the late 60s and almost forgot about it, then in a flash of memory reboot, I remembered it and did all 3 vises in the shop.

I drilled a series of 3/16" hole in the top edge of the drill press vise, the holes with the use of taper pins allows the round item to be gripped securely. In the pictures I used a 4-1/2" x 1/4" grinding wheel to show how it works. The taper pins go down into the vise jaw face about 3/4".

1 - vise jaws drilled
2 - the pins close together
3 - the pins farther apart
4 - the vise and the taper pins
Attachments
vise mods 003x.jpg
vise mods 004x.jpg
vise mods 009x.jpg
vise mods 010x.jpg
Last edited by platypus20 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
jack

Harold_V

Re: Drill Press Vise Mods

Post by Harold_V » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Way cool! Very nice that the jaws become parallels, too.

Thanks for a very useful tip. I can see many readers reaping a benefit.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

platypus20

Post by platypus20 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks, Harold

I was talking to a friend of mine this morning, he read the thread, he has made a set of jaws for his milling machine, now he is going to adapt this idea to those jaws, but the holes are going to be threaded. So he can use his clamping kit hardware.
jack

AlphaGeek

Post by AlphaGeek » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:26 pm

That's pretty sweet. I've already made custom jaws for my drill press vise (huge improvement) and they'll be going on the mill to receive this modification today. I'll probably do threaded holes instead, as I can then use shoulder bolts of various lengths in place of the pins.

I also quite like the tooling plate mounted to the drill press table. Might have to give that a try as well...

-AG
Rule number one: Everything takes longer and costs more.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:59 pm

platypus20 wrote:Thanks, Harold

I was talking to a friend of mine this morning, he read the thread, he has made a set of jaws for his milling machine, now he is going to adapt this idea to those jaws, but the holes are going to be threaded. So he can use his clamping kit hardware.
In keeping with that theme, I own two Kurt vises for my mills. Both have had the body of the fixed jaw drilled and tapped to ccept ¼"-20 screws. The tapped holes are located immediately behind the jaw insert. I use them, along with small shop built clamps, to restrain parallels, or to set stops when working on small pieces. They've proven to be one of the best things I have done to make a vise more user friendly.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.