BBQ Grill Light

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Morph

BBQ Grill Light

Post by Morph »

Was at Lowe's today and seen this grill light. I didn't trust the holding strength of the segmented adjustable tubing (watchamacallit) so I opened the package in the store to check it. To my suprise it was very stiff and plenty good enough to support the led lamp.

It has magnets on the base for mounting. Magnets are so so. But it also has an adjustable vise which i like. just clamp it on and turn it on.

I mounted it to the mill control box by the magnets and as long as the surface is flat it works well. I also mounted it to the arm of my chip shield and it works perfect.

Puts out pretty good light. Three double a batteries.

Sorry the pics are so bad. Cheap phone camera.

Kinda pricey at $25.
Attachments
0420121521.jpg
0420121521a01.jpg
042012151601.jpg
042012151701.jpg
Bill
websterz

Re: BBQ Grill Light

Post by websterz »

Over in the lighting section they have a similar light. It is a desk lamp that runs off of a 12 volt transformer. It has more LED's and costs about $5 less. :?
Morph

Post by Morph »

websterz,

But does it have the clamp and the magnets?

Man, and I thought I was on to something.

Well, I will have to go over to the lighting section and look.

While I was there I picked up a 8" bench grinder as well. It's a (spell) Porta Cable? Has a variable speed dial. Been looking for a variable speed grinder for a while now. The wheels really suck. I will be hunting for some decent ones.

Now I have an excuse to begin a new project this weekend, a decent tool rest for the grinder. Not so much for grinding tools but for ease of use on misc. projects.
I have some large aluminum angle plates from the scrap yard that need to be put to good use. Thinking about making a sliding dovetail rest on the x and y with a jig attachment for angles.
Bill
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

Morph check out the Ebay sales from tmleader. No affiliation other than a very happy customer. I mistakenly ordered a 7" wheel instead of an 8" and he fixed it, it arrived broken and he replaced it on a picture. Great prices to boot!

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have been wearing one of those stupid LED flashlights that mounts on your forehead with a band. Somewhat addictive.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

SteveHGraham wrote:I have been wearing one of those stupid LED flashlights that mounts on your forehead with a band. Somewhat addictive.
Ah so that is what is on your Avatar. I was wondering and settled on a laser lathe leveler.

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

No, no. That's my collection of cybernetic Borg implants. It gives me Google on the go, plus laser targeting for my pulsed energy weapons.
Morph

Post by Morph »

SteveHGraham wrote:I have been wearing one of those stupid LED flashlights that mounts on your forehead with a band. Somewhat addictive.
I use those head band led flashlights going into attics and under buildings doing electrical work. its really a life saver being able to have both hands free to work or catch yourself from falling through someones ceiling by being able to grab a truss to stabilize yourself. Treading ceiling joists covered with insulation takes some getting used to.
But I still agree with you, they are pretty stupid.
swatson144 wrote:Morph check out the Ebay sales from tmleader. No affiliation other than a very happy customer. I mistakenly ordered a 7" wheel instead of an 8" and he fixed it, it arrived broken and he replaced it on a picture. Great prices to boot!

Steve
thanks for the tip. I will look see.
Bill
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The unfortunate thing is that it's real easy to forget to take it off.
Morph

Post by Morph »

SteveHGraham wrote:The unfortunate thing is that it's real easy to forget to take it off.

Yeah Iv'e gotten some funny looks going back and forth from the attic to the truck. lol.
Bill
Torch

Post by Torch »

Hey, I've been a fan of those head lights since my spelunking days. Be thankful you no longer have to carry calcium carbide in your pocket to fuel them.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Don't forget we also had to carry a plastic bag or a jar to put the spent carbide in, and not leave it in the cave. (Seems to me people who left it there, always left it in the best [i.e. driest] place to sit !!)
Pete in NJ