Sorry, wrote a moan on another thread,
Drat, spent some time today with my son in an attempt to resurrect a dead mower, an antique Wheel horse, and got smoke from the voltage regualtor, attached to the starter-generator. That was the last move after changing a tie rod, oil, transmission lube, (water in the transaxle), and various grease zerks and mower gears. Now it wont run. We started off with this tiny antique, but it went out of service last fall. 4 other tractors are in pieces bought as junk and repairables for no money, are not functional yet.
Sonny lost a motor in his Buick last Thurs. So he is out a vehicle, only his Cavalier that takes him to work, and his buddies Fire Truck support him. The fire unit is a 90 Chevy one ton rated 4x4 crew cab. Purchased with the 3rd engine malfuntioning, this garage queen has 17 k miles on it. We just recently diagnosed the engine as a valve problem, and upon tear down for suspected bent valves, discovered the head gaskets had blown out, between the center cylinders, both sides. The engine from Chevy was a crate motor, and only has some 5K miles on it. So it seems the Fire Co. only got about 5 K miles out of each motor in their service. The first one broke twice, and the new replacement once, so it was auctioned. This Carburated rig gets 7-8 MPG on the road with 411 gears. (ouch)! Another creation that is dead at birth it seems. Anyway, we have to take extreme measures to patch the Buicks engine, until its replacement mill can be aquired. It has one journal that failed and opened up. Did not spin the rod, just ate the bearing. So we are going to refurb the crank in place and rebearing the engine with a new oil pump, and let it fly.
Meantime, work on the Sons move to my rental is stalled because of family commitments and Murphy getting in the way. It includes an emergency run, on his side, for a nephew to South Bend, Where an implanted impulse pump had failed. The teen was getting no insulin, and hit 800+ on the meter, so off he went for ER treatment. A bit of a scare to say the least. Three days, and the crisis is over. He is running on a spare external pump, while they try to correct the situation. ( Readings above 500 are toxic, and higher is life threatening, and must be addressed aggressively to prevent damage to organs, that can be permanant).
So things keep holding up progress.
Tomorrow rose and I are going to the Kankakee Chicken swap, that only occurs 4 times a year, 1st Sunday of the month. We dont know what we are looking for, except some matches for breeding purposes, and some clear deals on chickendom things. Education comes in many forms, and this is one place to find things, from the real world, at dirt prices.
I am just an hour or so away from completing 'Chicken City' for the X-Rocks table birds. They are pigs and growing at an increadable rate. The first ten will finish in about 5 weeks or so. (14-16 wks total). We will go by the weight, for when they go to Freezerland. It is a 4 x 12 wire run with PVC hoops to carry the wire, and small tarp. These birds must stay near the ground, as they grow so fast they cant walk, and begin to 'swim' across the yard. So the roosts are just enough, about 3 inches above the ground, for sleeping at night..I dont know if I can get the Chicken Plucker built, to be used for this batch. I found the Trunion mounts from commercial clothes dryers, (3) to make the plucker, so I have all the major parts except the rubber fingers. Based on a plastic 55 gallon barrel, a swirling plate in the bottom will denude a pair of blanched chickens in about thirty seconds.
On another front, just a coupla hundred yards down the road, two theives were caught on a property, red handed, by County Police, with security video. The business has suffered several break ins, and a total loss of about $60k. My information says they were held over the weekend, and paperwork was not completed before their 48 hour release. They are now under warrent, but are not to be found. I am trying to find out if these guys are familiar, and responsible for my loss too. I am inquiring of Pawn shops, that are not very co-operative. They know me, and have pledged to help, but it is very thin. My latest loss of Mechanics tools, indicators and tooling for r-8, and such cutters and bits, total about 4K for me, with little likelyhood of replacement now, due to income and timing. Many of the cutters were of a taper 3 and 5 degree type for cutting draft reliefs on patterns. They took everything that was boxed or wrapped, including all but three of the r-8 collets, Mill extension holders, r-8 drill chucks 2 sizes, several blank mandrels, and boring head with spare bits an various made cutters from blanks. Sine bars, and 1x2, 2x3, and several other block sets are gone, and I cant find my table Vice either. Only the cheapie for a drill press with the lever on the side, (that doesnt lock securly). I am seriously crippled in making small parts.
Locks are for honest people, but the garage sports a new pair anyway, of the anti-hacksaw type, and armored locks. A game camera is being placed in a strategic spot in the yard to pick out any movements there.
Sad, pitifull really to be a victim, like this.
Be Alert! The world needs more Lerts.