Brake Rotors

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

ctwo

Brake Rotors

Post by ctwo » Thu May 03, 2012 2:41 pm

I've been trying to think up some uses for a pair of used brake rotors I have laying around.

I thought of turning one into a face plate for the lathe, but can't see how to make it work.

Another, if I could figure out how to cut off a ring, would be used for a clamp on the rotab or elsewhere.

They are vented...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...

Lew Hartswick

Re: Brake Rotors

Post by Lew Hartswick » Thu May 03, 2012 5:16 pm

By "vented" do you mean there are holes through them axially (parallel to the axle) ?
If so not any good for a mill tramming surface. I just had to do a Bridgeport today
is why I thought of it. :-) The "nod" was out by over .1 " in the swing of the indicator
on a big old F250 disc that I use about a foot in diameter.
...Lew...

Rex

Post by Rex » Thu May 03, 2012 5:24 pm

I use one for a tramming surface. It's vented. I happen to have a brake lathe, so I turned both sides carefill, then continued the cut into the center "hat' to part it off.
Works fine, very flat.

ctwo

Post by ctwo » Thu May 03, 2012 6:45 pm

My terminology might not be correct, but they are not drilled or slotted, they have cooling fins radially between the two solid faces.

I had seen the use in tramming a mill, so it would be nice to keep one for that purpose. They came off because they were badly warped, so would need a turning, and might be too large for my 10" lathe...first thing I'm going to check when I get home.

I had also considered keeping the "hat" on one to bolt an extra 4-jaw chuck to (no back plate), and then use the disc as a mounting bracket to my rotab/mill table using bolts through holes drilled through the disc, but that is taking up a lot of Z and seems like it would add some spring...

spro

Post by spro » Thu May 03, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm all with you. I have been there. What can I say except used rotors are some of the nasty things to deal with unless in time of stress. They basically suck and vented they suck worse. There is little way a drill goes straight when you hit a vent section. They are all hard faced and irregular and hard to machine for that reason. Sure I keep a few around but they would be next to last choice for a backplate. You need semi virgin cast or something that hasn't gone thru so much heat and changes to become some hard faced, obstinate, tool-breaking pos. The crazy thing is that a New unvented one for a cheap car application may be useful before it gets all weird.

Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray » Fri May 04, 2012 6:53 am

They make good lamp bases. Especially the ones from a 1 ton chevy truck.
Other than that? ??
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works

f350ca

Post by f350ca » Fri May 04, 2012 12:09 pm

I used a non vented one along with the mechanical caliper from a snow mobile for the brake on a 16 inch disk sander I built. I run it direct drive with a 1750 rpm single phase motor. When I need to reverse the disk its nice to have a brake to burn up all that kinetic energy.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kg1C ... GP1124.jpg

Greg

ctwo

Post by ctwo » Fri May 04, 2012 12:46 pm

That is a good idea...These are 11" so won't quite chuck on my lathe. I threw one on the hydraulic press...

stevec

Post by stevec » Fri May 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Greg, I looked at the pic and saved it so I could blow it up and I still couldn't see anything to do with the disc brake addition.
Could you post more pics?
Steve

f350ca

Post by f350ca » Fri May 04, 2012 4:42 pm

stevec wrote:Greg, I looked at the pic and saved it so I could blow it up and I still couldn't see anything to do with the disc brake addition.
Could you post more pics?
Steve
The disk is bolted to the back of the sanding disk. Can't see it in that photo, the only one I had handy.
Will try to get a photo, it has a table, which is horizontal, so its buried in cabinet doors right now.
Greg

Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook » Sat May 05, 2012 2:18 am

Years ago I turned one into a flying saucer. It won't fly tho.

BC

PeteH

Post by PeteH » Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 am

Canoe anchor ?
Pete in NJ