3/4" scale B&O C-16 "Docksider" kit....

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

JohnHudak

3/4" scale B&O C-16 "Docksider" kit....

Post by JohnHudak »

Up for sale are two kits for a 3/4” scale B&O C-16, 0-4-0 Steam Locomotive. Working the Pratt Street dock area in Baltimore, these were commonly called “Docksiders” These locomotives are among my favorites, partially because as a boy, a Varney version of the Docksider was my first HO scale locomotive…
Originally I had planned on building three of these locos, one to keep and two to sell. As I went along building parts, I was making enough for three locomotives.. Some time ago, I decided that I won’t have the time to finish three of these, so I quit building parts for the others, and just concentrated on one.. There are no prints for these kits, although I do have a few prints for an 1 1/2” RR supply version of the C-16 that I scaled down (mostly just the running gear)
Because of the lack of prints, and instructions, I wouldn’t recommend this as a beginners project, as there will be a lot of figuring and engineering that will need to be done by you.. But I’ll be more than happy to provide you with a dimension, or a picture whenever you need one. Just please don’t ask me to dis-assemble my locomotive to measure something.. :) I have completed my chassis, and it is running on air. A Youtube video can be seen here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ySAFRWG7c

I have made all the formers for the all copper boiler plates, and a boiler is being built for me by a friend.
My locomotive will be propane fired, and I believe the boiler was designed that way, prints for the boiler are available for sale as well, from my boiler builder…

So here is what’s included in these kits.
(4) drivers in cast iron, un-machined.
(2) frame sides, machined from CRS.
(4) pedestal binders machined.
(4) axle boxes, fully machined, with oilite bushings pressed in.
(2) cylinders machined from a solid cast iron bar.
(1) front beam, CRS.
(1) rear beam, CRS.
(1) smoke box (3 3/4” Diameter) steel tube. (not shown)
(1) cross piece that supports the front of the valve gear, and the crosshead guides, brass.
(2) valve gear frames machined from brass. ( 1L, 1R )
(2) expansion links machined, with bushings.
(4) side frames for the expansion links, brass.
(2) combination levers.
(2) union links.
(2) Eccentric cranks.
(1) cab front, brass.
(2) two cab sides, brass (windows not yet cut out)
(1) Pyle National headlight kit, in bronze. (Not shown)
(2) rear brake arm brackets, rough machined, brass.

I have a drill jig made-up for drilling the steam passages between the valve bore and cylinder bore that will be loaned to you if you want it.

I also have “Baltimore and Ohio” rub on transfers for the lettering, but I only have one set, and the first buyer will get those..

I am asking $650.00 per kit for all of the above, which I feel is a very fair price for all of the machining that I’ve already done. With just a few hours work machining the wheels/axles and drilling/tapping a few holes, you will have a rolling chassis. And most of the hard work (valve gear parts) have already been done..
Shown in the photos are the two kits, the price is for one kit only…
John
Attachments
DSCN0648.JPG
DSCN0644.JPG
DSCN0645.JPG
DSCN0646.JPG
DSCN0647.JPG
Scott K

Re: 3/4" scale B&O C-16 "Docksider" kit....

Post by Scott K »

John,
P.M. sent!
Scott K
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Both kits have tentatively been sold....
John
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Isn't it amazing how 3/4" is becoming a lot more attractive to people these days?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

If I hadn't started my little kick on the 3/4" Friends Atlantic I would have definitely been jumping on one or both of these. I've always loved the Docksiders!
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

jschoenly wrote:If I hadn't started my little kick on the 3/4" Friends Atlantic I would have definitely been jumping on one or both of these. I've always loved the Docksiders!
How can you not love this little guy......?
Attachments
bo97s.jpg
WJH

Post by WJH »

If I was in a more stable economic setting, I would of bought the kits instantly when they first popped up! I do love tank engines.