SR&RL #24?

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

SoCalLiveSteamer#613

SR&RL #24?

Post by SoCalLiveSteamer#613 »

Howdey all,

A member at my local track has asked me to ask around if anyone would be interested in building a Sandy River #24 for him. Its a big take on I know. There is one down at OCME now in Costa Messa, California and saddly we dragged our feet to long and he missed out on picking up the engine.The Fergusons are now the happy owners! Glade to see they have it though. Wonderful engine and a joy to run! After my visit down there I of course rubbed it in Jim's face, my freind who originally wanted to purchase the engine and now he really is interested in seeing if anyone has the interest in manufacturing one for him? I think there are casting out there but honestly I don't know. Could anyone point me in a good direction here either in where we could purchase parts/castings and someone maybe brave enough to take on a project like this!?

Charlie
Going in circles any day, anywhere as long as its on a steam engine!
Ken Schroeder

Re: SR&RL #24?

Post by Ken Schroeder »

I made all the patterns for the same engine and just completed building one. There are close to 40 patterns for all the castings and Steve Alley now has all the patterns and is selling the castings for that engine. Steve has built quite a few of my 1 1/2" Shays and may be interested in building the #24. He goes by the name of Alley Supply Co. and advertises in Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading magazine. His phone number is
775-782-3800.

Ken Schroeder
SoCalLiveSteamer#613

Thank you! We would love to see some pictures of yours. Could you post some?
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Call Dave Skagen.
SoCalLiveSteamer#613

I know Dave..he is good freinds with Jim, my freind who wants the loco.. Does anyone know of any pictures of that #23. Would love to see it but can't find any.
tomc

Post by tomc »

Is he done with#23? He was asking $110,000.00 for #24 when I asked or saw an add. Can't remember which anymore.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Ken Schroeder

Post by Ken Schroeder »

I will try and post some pictures of my locomotive along with some pictures of the truck castings that were discussed a while back. Truck castings were made to #23 tender truck prints in 3 3/4" scale. Also picture of coupler pocket to accept Roll Models 2 1/2" couplers. A picture of my 3 3/4" Sunbeam generator.

Ken Schroeder
Attachments
100_1416.jpg
100_1415.jpg
100_1421.jpg
100_1420.jpg
100_1423.jpg
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

I hope that those who have or are going to build this engine will consider the total weight and the weight on eavh driver. This is a very heavy loco if built with iron and steel. Some clubs have maximum axle weight limits. This is most critical if you are going to run on 1" aluminum rail and scale wood ties. LALSRM has such a limit. I believe it is 425 pounds per axle. I wonder what the driver axle loads are on Tom Miller's K36(?)? Since LALSRM has gone to steel rail and plastic 2X4 ties on edge with tie plates we may be able to handle heavier axle loads but that must yet be detemined. One compensating factor is that larger dia. wheels can support higher axle loads for the same rail design. I don't know the engineering factors to use to calculate the axle loads and probably some testing would be needed.
Cary
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

It's true that if you build a larger engine, you may run into these limits, whether based in reality or a number that someone pulled out of their nether regions.

I haven't seen anyone perform proper load testing on a section of track. It's something I want to do for a future article of Live Steam, as I have access to the resources to carry out the experiment. Some empirical testing will lend some real world answers. I believe that 400x lbs is a very conservative number for steel track, and possibly also too low for aluminum track, given reasonable tie spacing. This is based on experience with a 7.5" gauge tank engine that has a little over 800lbs per axle when fully loaded with fuel and water. There is no damage to the steel tracks it runs on.

Also important is curve radii. Large diameter drivers and rigid wheelbase add up to a desire by a long engine to straighten out the curves :) If you design your engine right you can make something that works on smaller radii than originally intended. Karl Hovanitz' Pacific has lateral play in the axles so it can better accommodate sharp curves with its long wheelbase. As a result you can see it taking equivalent corners that the full size engine would never be able to do smoothly.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
WJH

Post by WJH »

I believe the trestle at the GGLS has a 2000lb total engine weight capacity? You can still run, just not on the loop with the trestle.
Vance Nickerson

Post by Vance Nickerson »

If you have trouble finding someone I can build it if speed is not critical as I am a Union Pacific engineer and shop time is not always handy.

Vance Nickerson
nickersonvance@gmail.com
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

I have photos of Daves Skagen's #23 in progress, If anyone would like to see them.

PM me your email address and I'll reply to your email with the photos.