Criterion boring head shaft removal

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Criterion boring head shaft removal

Post by neanderman »

I just picked up a used Criterion boring head set, with a DBL-203 head on an R-8 shank. My mill uses a B&S #9, so I'll need to buy a new shank, but first I need to get the R-8 shank out of the head.

Is there a trick to this? Is it a RH or LH thread? I've tried gripping the head and shank with my bare hands, and twisting both ways, and I can't budge it.

Ed

Sorry... I put this in the wrong forum. It probably should be in the Milling Forum.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Bruce_Mowbray

Re: Criterion boring head shaft removal

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Ed,
It's a right hand fine thread. Some guys put loctite on the threads before assembling so that may be what's holding things together. The arbor has a flange on it which also makes for a really tight joint. Try a little heat on the arbor to see if that helps. you might just have to bring out the big wrench to get things to come apart. Clamp the boring head on the flat section of the bar holder in a vise with some soft jaws. Tighten the set screws and use a pipe wrench on the arbor. This will make a mess of the arbor so be prepared to get a new R8 arbor if you intend to use the head in a Bridgport or similar R8 spindle.\
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thanks. I'll give the heat a shot tomorrow evening.

Ed
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

spro

Post by spro »

Only a thought how once the neat boring heads were affixed to Large B&S taper shanks and many converted them to R-8. :)
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

spro wrote:Only a thought how once the neat boring heads were affixed to Large B&S taper shanks and many converted them to R-8. :)
Just my luck! :(

Ed
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Mr Mowbray is most likely correct. The threads on the boring head I have are RH. Might the suggestion be made instead of gripping the R8 with a pipe wrench, drill a hole in the shank flange for a spanner wrench pin. That might work as well but leave less marks.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I have a few ideas to avoid using a pipe wrench, should that be necessary. One of them is to make a wrench that utilizes the keyway.

Ed
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

BobCMW

Post by BobCMW »

If the previous owner has not used Loctite (and sometimes even if they have) you can put a long 1/2" bar in the cross-hole and unscrew the head from the shank it is attached to. You need to hold the shank well because you don't want it spinning when you are working the lever.

Bob