EMCO T-nuts

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

PeteH

EMCO T-nuts

Post by PeteH »

The T-nuts that fit the cross-slide on the V10 appear to be an odd size. I've got three of the originals, but haven't been able to locate a source for more. The slot is nominally 10mm (measures more like 10.7).

I have some 3/8" size, the nearest SAE measurement, but those don't fit; and the nearest metric ones I've found (Busy Bee 8mm) still are too big to fit in (although the slot-width would work, the "crossbar" of the T is too wide).

Has anyone got a source for the correct ones ?

I certainly could make some, but I'm lazy.

Thanks...
Pete in NJ
Torch

Re: EMCO T-nuts

Post by Torch »

Buy the 8mm and just mill the sides?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Thought of that, but the part that comes up through the slot is also a bit narrower than the original. Dimensions are downstairs, but IIRC, it would have about .060" clearance. I'm not sure that matters, as long as the "crossbar" fits.

Milling them off would likely be a bit of work, too -- I think they're hardened. Surface grinder (which I don't have - yet!) would be better, I think.

Thanks...
Pete in NJ
Torch

Post by Torch »

Can't say about the 8mm, but the 3/8" ones from BusyBee weren't hardened. I had no trouble adjusting their size -- which was a good thing, since the dimensions from nut to nut were a variable. I even got some that weren't tapped in the centre of the T!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hmmm... maybe it WOULD be better to make my own !!!
Pete in NJ
Torch

Post by Torch »

I'm pretty sure you would take better care in measuring things than the apprentice in the Chinese sweatshop did.