Looking for follow rest for older Jet lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Dan B

Looking for follow rest for older Jet lathe

Post by Dan B »

Any ideas where I may find a follow rest for this lathe?
Thanks,
Dan
hammermill

Re: Looking for follow rest for older Jet lathe

Post by hammermill »

1 could send you a tracing of one for a 13x40?
spro

Post by spro »

Do a search for an Enco 1260 . I think the saddles were all the same then.
Rex

Post by Rex »

I have a 1024 of similar vintage. I have never seen a follow rest available in the wild, and I do watch for such things.
I think the best course of action is to find a follow rest for a similar size lathe and adapt it to fit your saddle.

An alternative:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Tooli ... lower.html
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Dan B,
I would agree with Rex. I personally have a Graziano lathe that came without steady or follow rests and originals seem to be impossible to find. I just kept watching eBay and finally came across a nice follow rest (I think from a Colchester) with dimensions I could work with for a very reasonable price. I machined and adapter and modified the base of the follow rest to fit my lathe. Worked out very well. Still searching for a steady rest to do the same with. If I don't find one soon, I'll probably start making one from scratch. Sounds like another fun project :D
Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Charlie W.

Post by Charlie W. »

I had a 1981 Jet 1236 for years. I got it with the steady rest but no follower. I upgraded to a 1983 GoodWay 1440 gearhead a few years ago which also came with the steady rest but no follower rest. I didn't even know how one mounted to my lathe. I corresponded with a guy in Australia with a GoodWay. His carriage was arrainged differently but he had the follower rest and sent me a picture of it. I watched ebay pretty often. One week, 2 that looked like the picture showed up for sale. The seller didn't know what lathe either one fit. Evidently, no one else did either. I placed a bid of $10 and ended up getting it for the $10 plus shipping. When it arrived, it still had the cosmoline on it. I had to elongate one of the mounting holes a bit but outside of that, it fit perfect.

I never thought I would find one for it and especially one that cheap. It took 3 years to find it but my persistance paid off. Don't give up. Just be paitent and persistant.

Charlie W.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Charlie W. wrote:I had a 1981 Jet 1236 for years. I got it with the steady rest but no follower. I upgraded to a 1983 GoodWay 1440 gearhead a few years ago which also came with the steady rest but no follower rest. I didn't even know how one mounted to my lathe. I corresponded with a guy in Australia with a GoodWay. His carriage was arrainged differently but he had the follower rest and sent me a picture of it. I watched ebay pretty often. One week, 2 that looked like the picture showed up for sale. The seller didn't know what lathe either one fit. Evidently, no one else did either. I placed a bid of $10 and ended up getting it for the $10 plus shipping. When it arrived, it still had the cosmoline on it. I had to elongate one of the mounting holes a bit but outside of that, it fit perfect.

I never thought I would find one for it and especially one that cheap. It took 3 years to find it but my persistance paid off. Don't give up. Just be paitent and persistant.

Charlie W.
Sounds to me like you need to post that picture!
Charlie W.

Post by Charlie W. »

Rex wrote:Sounds to me like you need to post that picture!
Here is a picture of Ben's Goodway and one of his follower rest mounted on the carriage.

As I mentioned, Ben is in Australia. Notice the reversed controlls on the carriage.

My Goodway has controlls that most of us are familiar with.

Charlie
Last edited by Charlie W. on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Charlie W. wrote: As I mentioned, Ben is in Australia. Notice the reversed controlls on the carriage.
Right, like the water circles the drain anti-clockwise there? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the pics. Now we all know what to look for.
I think the next guy that posts an "Unknown Lathe Follow Rest" on ebay is going to wonder what happened :shock:
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Rex wrote:
Charlie W. wrote: As I mentioned, Ben is in Australia. Notice the reversed controlls on the carriage.
Right, like the water circles the drain anti-clockwise there? :mrgreen:
They are reversed over there, and some European lathes are as well. The carriage handwheel is on the right side of the carriage to help protect the back of your hand from a shower of hot chips.
Kinda makes sense!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
stevec

Post by stevec »

Sorta like the "shield" thingy on my Lux-Matter 16 x 60.
Upper left corner of the apron
Upper left corner of the apron
BTW, as far as protecting the operator from hot chips, it doesn't work. Ouch ouch!