Homemade Wooden Tool chests

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Machinistchest

passing it on

Post by Machinistchest »

I have an intresting story I`d like to share about a old retired chap from Green bay WI. His name is Wayne. I`m not sure of his age however Wayne had called to place his order (because he dosen`t own a computer) for five Woodsmith hardware kits, he`s planning to build one each of the chest plan for his five grandsons.

Of coarse we got to talking and I asked him where he gets his wood from. He replied Well son, I had cut down an old oak tree out in the back yard that I had planted when I was a kid.

Just awesome! Ole Gramp`s Toolbox, home growen and hand made...MC
WWW.MACHINISTCHEST.COM
10 Wheeler Rob

Regarding wood boxes

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

It is not the wood acting as a desiccant as much as the wood is thermal insulator rather then a good conductor like steel. Because it insulates the tools do not go up and down in temperature as much, which results in less water vapor from the air condensing on them, and less water is less rust.

Similar as to why putting a car battery on wood board on cement floor, battery stays warmer and less water condenses on it to cause it to discharge.

These are not wise-tales, it dose make a significant difference. I find having a heated shop with a dehumidifier works quite well too.

Rob
bjmh46

Post by bjmh46 »

Loosely based on a Popular Mechanics plan available free on the net. Mine (finished last week) is made from the last of my "gnarly" walnut that's been on my wood rack for about 10 years.

Regards
Bob[/img]
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Too nice, that belongs in the house full of the heirloom silverware.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

bjmh46, Sooo Sweeet
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Walnut has always been the wood of choice for me.
Beautiful box! I envy you your wood-working skills.

Harold
bjmh46

Post by bjmh46 »

Thanks Harold, Steve, and Russ for the kind comments!

Bob
Machinistchest

Post by Machinistchest »

Bob ,

Just awesome and insperational ,

My dilemma has been finding a good wood source , at a price that would make it worth my while, processing the wood is so labor intensive. I have a set of plans for nice little cantilever utility box with a tray that folds out that I would like to test and see if there`s a market for .

Just to get an idea of how much wood costs I have been researching all over and came up with this guy he has the best selection with the most sizes in the thinner boards.

http://www.hardwoodboardsource.com/waln ... 6_237.html

I don`t mean to change the topic here however if one were to build a box a good wood source is a great place to start...MC
WWW.MACHINISTCHEST.COM
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

Beautiful work is it's own reward.

For nearly forty years I've been collecting wood, hardware, plans and ideas for making a wood machinist's chest. There is still hope it will still get done.

However, it'll be made for the pleasure of the process, not function. Some the hardware kits referenced above cost $140 and up. I've been buying the Kennedy #525 chests for $25-50, depending upon condition. Currently, I have seven of these, plus two larger machinist chests, one two drawer riser and twelve or fourteen mechanics tool boxes. There is no such thing as too many tools or tool boxes, but I'm getting there.

Bottom line, high quality steel tool boxes are all over craigslist, yard sales, estate sales for less than the cost of hardware and wood, counting nothing for the labor. Do it for beauty, do it for love of the process, just don't expect it to make any practical sense.

thnx, jack vines
Machinistchest

Metal box

Post by Machinistchest »

Hey Jack,

How`s the hardware holden up on that old Kennedy box, there wasen`t much of it, but for spring snaps and handle cleats. Kennedy was founded somwhere around the 1920`s I figure there must be at least a million + in the market.

Their top handles held up really well they were vinyl coated . I`v noticed that most of the early vintage crome plated hardware is pitted and or rusting.

The fasteners were a bit different, semi tubular rivets as opposed to split rivets for the wooden chests

I`v just recently found the manufacturer for the metal box hardware, probably start offering it some time this year. The one CLICK kit concept
has proven to be very successful. But like I said there`s not much to a Kennedy Kit, probably sell for under $20 w/ free shipping...MC
WWW.MACHINISTCHEST.COM
KenHMT

Re:

Post by KenHMT »

bjmh46 wrote:Loosely based on a Popular Mechanics plan available free on the net. Mine (finished last week) is made from the last of my "gnarly" walnut that's been on my wood rack for about 10 years.

Regards
Bob[/img]
Gorgeous!!

Added to the homemadetools.net database: http://www.homemadetools.net/walnut-machinists-chest

Ken