Latest Project - Adjustable Tailstock for Dividing Head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

KenHMT

Re: Latest Project - Adjustable Tailstock for Dividing Head

Post by KenHMT »

awake wrote:A few years ago, shortly after I started learning machining, I acquired a second hand spin-indexer -- just the indexer, no tailstock. A year or so later I acquired a second hand dividing head. Again, you guessed it -- no tailstock. I've used both without a tailstock ever since, but more than once I've been pushing the envelope without a tailstock to stabilize the free end.

Great design & really nicely made!

Added to the database at homemadetools.net: http://www.homemadetools.net/adjustable-tailstock

Ken
shop hermit

Post by shop hermit »

I've also been kicking around the idea of building an adjustable tailstock for my little table-top mill. This looks like the perfect answer and a good project for this winter. I suspect we're kindred spirits. I'm a self-taught, seat of the pants machinist and I usually start a project with only a few doodles on a scrap of paper and it evolves as I sort through my accumulation of raw materials (ie, junkbox) and machining resources and capabilities. Incidentally, I notice that many of the rotary table tailstock centers are adjustable to tilt the ram upward from the horizontal and the center point is positioned off-center at the top. Why is that??? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I have no experience with one of these and they say there is no such thing as a stupid question; only stupid answers.
as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Here is one I made a few years ago in use on the mill during a "threading indicator" gear fab job.
The idea of using rods and V ways for sliding fit, I've used a lot. Makes the fab a lot easier and
for everything I've done so far works just great.
...lew...
Humm why didn't the pix make it??? Oh well I guess it's not meant to be.:-(

AH!! it was a few bits too wide.
Attachments
2011_0216_112754AA.JPG