Which quick change tool post for my 3 in 1???

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

wolframore

Which quick change tool post for my 3 in 1???

Post by wolframore »

Hi,
I'm still tooling up and want to get a quick change tool post... was wondering which one?

AXA, BXA or CXA???
Piston or Wedge.

CDCO www.cdcotools.com has some good prices but confused by the sizes and option.

I have a Knuth DBF 400... I believe it's pretty much the same as the Grizzly G4015Z with some minor differences...

Thanks Charlie
Cheers!

Charlie

Knuth DBF 400 - 3 in 1 Lathe Mill
ken572

Re: Which quick change tool post for my 3 in 1???

Post by ken572 »

wolframore,

Start reading here.
32 pages to read on Q.C. tool posts. :wink:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/sea ... mit=Search

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Torch

Post by Torch »

After much debate and research, I settled on the BXA wedge format. The C is too tall and the A must be shimmed up. The B is a good height for the swing over the table.

Some modifications are necessary of course. Here's my approach:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... xa#p186838

I later made a further modification to centre it on my table. I don't think this is necessary on your machine, since I believe you have a single t-slot in the centre anyway:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 27&t=91868

Good luck!
wolframore

Post by wolframore »

Sweet write-up... thanks Torch! I was going to get AXA but you're right the BXA looks perfect.

I love how the tool is over the clamping portion of the compound. I've run that part into the chuck before... :o

The BXA Wedge is $129.00 at: http://www.cdcotools.com/... BTW do you think the wedge is justifiably better than the piston??? The piston BXA is $89.00.

- This weekend I used the lathe to put everything right on my snow blower. Made some barrel ends to repair cables and a new ferrule for a Harley clutch cable so i can repair the drive disengagement for turning. It's so cool having machines to make parts!!! Love this hobby!
Cheers!

Charlie

oldvan

Post by oldvan »

wolframore wrote:BTW do you think the wedge is justifiably better than the piston??? The piston BXA is $89.00.
I vote YES. In my (limited) experience, the piston-type can rattle loose because of chatter where the wedge-type does not tend to, and the wedge-type clamps the tool more repeatably.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Wedge QCTP alone: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370676928265 ($89)

With 5 toolholders: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120879300817 ($125)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I would also add that the Phase II post is better than the generic chicom toolpost. I had a generic wedge post and it wasn't as good as my Phase II piston. The Phase II wedge I now have is better still.

Enco usually has them on sale.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAK ... PG=INLMK32

Steve
wolframore

Post by wolframore »

Nice the Phase II is made in Michigan. So you guys are definitely in the camp of wedge is preferable to piston then... okay. This one will wait til after Christmas, I have two kids. I suppose the 4 way will work til then. :)
Cheers!

Charlie

Torch

Post by Torch »

wolframore wrote:Nice the Phase II is made in Michigan.
Oh I wouldn't put money on that. From their website:

PHASE II SPECIALIZES IN PROVIDING GLOBAL OUTSOURCING-CONTRACT MANUFACTURING FOR ALL TYPES OF PROJECTS. We have over 25 years of experience and expertise needed to get your product sourced, produced, and shipped according to your exact specifications.

PHASE II has two state of the art offices in China, with contacts in the best factories, many of which are ISO 9000/9001 certified. There are no limits to the type of products we can produce regardless of material, specifications or tolerances.

Our experienced staff will assist you through every step of your order.

Phase II global outsourcing-contract manufacturing guarantees that your product will be manufactured to the highest degree of quality and shipped according to schedule.

Phase II global outsourcing-contract manufacturing has produced numerous specialty products for manufacturers of all types. Some recent industries we have produced for are: Automotive, Machine Tools, Hardware, Optical, Instrumentation, and Mold-Making, etc.

WHY OUTSOURCE?
CONTRACT MANUFACTURING

Market Position
There are many reasons why you should offshore outsource your products, but the most compelling is "to stay competitive", while maintaining a world-class level of quality. YOUR POSITION in the marketplace will not only be strengthened, but you will have additional resources to stay ahead of your competition. Today more than ever, companies are importing products directly from Asia. PHASE II has been doing business in Asia for over 25 years and has the extensive experience and excellent working relationship with the best contract manufacturers in Asia.

Extensive Setup Costs
To arrange a separate production line for new items or design, you will drain your valuable time and resources. PHASE II has the ability to save you those costs and still produce a quality product at 50- 80% off standard retail prices.

Technological Advantages
In many cases, our factories are affiliated with some of the leading engineering universities in Asia. This enables them to tap not only into a highly skilled and professional talent pool, but also entitles them access to the latest advances in technology, such as automation, hardware and software
wolframore

Post by wolframore »

Wow forget that. I'm not paying more for the same stuff with a different brand stamped on it. Back to cdco!
Cheers!

Charlie

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Phase II and CDCO may not use the same manufacturer. There may still be a significant quality difference.

You will discover that when you start purchasing tool holders. There are quality differences between different vendors selling the Asian ones.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Glenn Wegman wrote:Phase II and CDCO may not use the same manufacturer. There may still be a significant quality difference.

You will discover that when you start purchasing tool holders. There are quality differences between different vendors selling the Asian ones.
The Phase II stuff I've bought, including an AXA QCTP set, is a higher grade of China tooling, especially if you compare to HF.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.