HELP! I have a problem with SB ID, and getting the right com

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

steamin10

HELP! I have a problem with SB ID, and getting the right com

Post by steamin10 »

As the title says, I am having trouble getting the right compound and am now confused. The tag on the South Bend says it is a C model 42 inch bed. It has a single lever gear change box, and it measures about 5.5 inches from chuck center to lathe bed. The bed itself has a bunch of cast-in cross webbing below the ways, unlike my 9 inch that has just three cross bars. At any rate, some numbskull had a wreck and broke the back of the tool holder out leaving only the front side. I have since milled off the break and installed a bar to restore the tool slot, but being it is only held by two countersunk 5/16 grade 8 screws, I have little doubt it will fail early. I will cut a tool block to replace the lantern post for better strength, as the geometry should take some of the load off of the repair.

A compound bought off the internet will not fit the carriage, as the spud is too small. it seems to be 1 3/8, where the carriage is 1 5/8. Anybody have any greater knowledge here? Is this an old 11, heavy ten, 9 inch, or what?

I know, I need the serial #. Sorry, its at work, and I am home.

PS. Complete compound with small increment wheel for sale $80. Mine is good, I dont need it.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
GlennW

Re: HELP! I have a problem with SB ID, and getting the right

Post by GlennW »

Would sleeving to spud to 1 5/8" solve your problem, or are there other mismatched features such as locking bolt holes?
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
steamin10 wrote:As the title says, I am having trouble getting the right compound and am now confused. The tag on the South Bend says it is a C model 42 inch bed. It has a single lever gear change box, and it measures about 5.5 inches from chuck center to lathe bed. The bed itself has a bunch of cast-in cross webbing below the ways, unlike my 9 inch that has just three cross bars.
Do you have any pictures of this lathe?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

This is a sensative thing, as for pics, being its a company thing, and they are all suspicious. I have been given a nod to bring this small shop lathe up to a usable standard. I go to work tonite for two days and will try to get some sense of what I am dealing with. This shold have been easy, but as usual Murphy sneaked in. More later.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Hi Dave. I measured some stuff from an 11" S.B. (late '20's-early '30's) The compound doesn't use the tapered spud. There's a 3/8" pin in the center and T-nuts running in a machined ring of the cross slide. By the late '50's it looks as all sizes used the "spud".
hope this helps.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have a 1945 SB Heavy 10 and the spud is 1 5/8 at the large end.
How large is the through hole in the spindle?
You may have a Heavy 10.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
Patio wrote:I have a 1945 SB Heavy 10 and the spud is 1 5/8 at the large end.
How large is the through hole in the spindle?
You may have a Heavy 10.
I've been thinking something along the same lines. Especially, when he said:
steamin10 wrote:The bed itself has a bunch of cast-in cross webbing below the ways, unlike my 9 inch that has just three cross bars.
That sounds like a late model Heavy Ten lathe bed. But the single lever QC
gearbox is indicative of an earlier Heavy Ten. I wonder if he is dealing with some
kind of "Frankenlathe." That is why I asked for a picture to help in identifying just
what kind of lathe he is dealing with.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
spro

Post by spro »

Webb. I'm similarly confused. "The tag on the South Bend says it is a C model 42" bed.." By this later compound, models "C" were equipped with manual change gears, hence no shift lever. C also had a plain apron with no power feeds.
The heavy one( 1 1/16" collet capacity, 1 3/8 "spindle ID) wasn't even offered in a C model (1958 anyway).
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Sorry that I have given some small bits of info wrong. I have to make an effort to put hands on this lathe in the shop as it is out of the way sorta. It is a two lever change box, not one as stated, it is 1 5/8 carriage hole, and the carriage is equiped with a power feed apron for cross feed.

I did not get any pics. I was busy as all getout with down turn work, Sat-Sun.
So it appears it is a later Heavy Ten.

I butchered the broken slide and put countersunk 5/16 screws in some soft stock to redo the tool slot, but it is obviously weak.

I need the slide itself and the screw as some dolt mushroomed the threads for the dial nut. It has the large dial.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

steamin10 wrote:
.....put countersunk 5/16 screws in some soft stock to redo the tool slot, but it is obviously weak.
I did this on a 24" swing German built Martin lathe, only I used 1/2" flat head screws. As far as I know it's still running in the Portland ship yard.

Richard W.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Dave,

This is a 9C:

This is a heavy 10:

Look at the apron to see the major identifying features.

Which does yours look like?

I'm with Webb - think it's going to be an H10

Steve
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, thats the machine, only with a more modern cabinet, and it is an underdrive. One diference is a flip lever for the cross drive rather than the hand knob, an obvious addition.

I plsn on cutting a tool block, as it will work better than using the lantern post they have now, missing the rocker. These guys are cludges when it comes to lathe work.