Hand powered speeder

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

WJH

Re: Hand powered speeder

Post by WJH »

duckman903 wrote:We went to Washakum today and some one had brought there hand cranked speeder for there (guessing) 3 YOGS to use and the owner told my GD she could ride it , well it was made for a 3 YO so my 5' 11 YOGD had trouble riding it we found that the rigid chassis had no flex and kept derailing, now I realized that I'll have to incorporate 1 axle flexing , my first idea is similar to a bolster with the pillow blocks mounted on a plate that can rock side to side, I'm planning to make the drive axle rigid so any misalignment in the track will be taken care of by the sloppy axle. Does it sound like a good idea I'm open to suggestions.
I have done just this with my electric speeder that is for sale. The rear axle is rigid to the frame, the front wheels have their own pivoting frame.
It works like a charm but I had to add in springs to the front pivoting frame. Since adding springs the speeder does not derail. Without springs, the uneven track will throw you around to the point that the rear wheels will run off the track. With the stiff springs in the front, it keeps the speeder from swaying too much yet keeps all four wheels firmly planted to the rails.
The springs on the front are mounted such as to limit the pivoting action.
Here is a cad drawing of my speeder with emphasis on the pivoting action.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

RB211 I have the pivot figured out, but where did you mount the springs is there 1 on each side, compression or tension I have both.
WJH

Post by WJH »

duckman903 wrote:RB211 I have the pivot figured out, but where did you mount the springs is there 1 on each side, compression or tension I have both.
One on each side, compression.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

I know hand pumping is going to get old , she will have to use it a couple of times or more before any change will take place, so I've already been thinking about an electric drive probably going to use a 12 volt motor , controller ? will need some help on that one.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Simplest thing is an electric trolling motor from a pawn shop. They are easy to find in the winter. Gut it and use the controls and the motor for the drive. All the parts for $50 or less. Make the final chain drive about 6-1 for good speed and mechanical advantage. The same thing can be used for a small boxcab, but the final drive will need to be 8 or 10 to 1 for good pulling abaility in the lighter range.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
WJH

Post by WJH »

The speeder I built with a 400 watt brushless DC motor and a 6 to 1 reduction has enough torque to whip your neck backwards or make the drive wheels spin like crazy. Has more than enough power unless you wanted to go over 10 mph. Your reduction ratio is dependent largely on the LOADED rpm of the motor and your drive wheel diameter. Free spinning RPM is not much help. My motor came off an electric scooter with an advertised speed of 18 mph, and it had a 12.5" wheel on it. I kept the chain drive and ratio the same, simply made the wheel smaller, about 4.1" I predicted I would go about 6 mph top end speed and the GPS proved the prediction to be spot on!
You want to use a motor that is for traction. Something with lots of torque and a relatively low rpm. A brushless motor designed for an R/C airplane that spins 30,000 rpm is not a good choice. All the Chinese electric scooter motors are fine for this, and as mentioned, the trolling motor sounds like it too. I very much like the brushless motor but if you want reverse, it adds complexity, where a normal DC brushed motor would be easier.
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

Good service and lots of parts. Russ

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

chiloquinruss wrote:Good service and lots of parts. Russ

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/
But don't expect them to know anything about the parts they sell! I bought 4 100W motors from them and they kept delaying the shipping date - ended up being 4 months later than promised. :?
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

How can this entire posting be transferred to the build forum, inquiring minds need to know.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

Ask Harold and it will be done.....

Pamela
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Hudson Honey wrote:Ask Harold and it will be done.....

Pamela
Done!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Damn work keeps getting in the way of fun, but I've got some free time. Wheels are now finished except for set screw hole, frame is welded, now to mount the axles, 1 rigid, 1 flexible. Tried loading some pictures but are too big.