ARTFULL BODGER'S WASTE OIL FURNACE

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

tailshaft56

Re: ARTFULL BODGER'S WASTE OIL FURNACE

Post by tailshaft56 »

I plan on Real. 7.5 gauge 1/8 scale.

If you plan on keeping ingots inside you might want to keep them in the freezer and avoid the fish smell! LOL
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

Payment recieved. Assuming Colin posts it tomorrow I wonder how long it will take to get here.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Victor O/A
Esab PCM-875
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

That is a chemical jug, and its size is 17.5 gal.

I tried using one for diesel fuel, but it winds up too heavy for easy handling when full. Also rule dictates a yellow container.

Some guy got busted using a poly-whatever 5 gallon water jug, and got a ticket. petty, but in the rules.

Has anybody gotten the new safty palstic jugs? They are horrible to use. They are getting real stupid with this fuel-in-a-bottle thing here.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
RCW

Post by RCW »

steamin10 wrote:

Also rule dictates a yellow container.

Some guy got busted using a poly-whatever 5 gallon water jug, and got a ticket. petty, but in the rules.

Has anybody gotten the new safty palstic jugs? They are horrible to use. They are getting real stupid with this fuel-in-a-bottle thing here.
Rules from the Feds, state or local yokels?

There is a story that during the Depression a Federal official went to a West Texas ranch and demanded to inspect it. The old rancher was reluctant to let him on the place, but the guy whipped our an official looking ID card and papers allowing him to conduct a search. He covered a good part of the ranch and could not find any violations. Finally he demanded that the rancher open a locked gate and allow him to inspect a small pasture with a pen and shed.

The rancher cringed and said, "I wouldn't go in there if I were you." The inspector turned red, whipped out his card again and yelled "I can go where ever I want to!" The rancher shrugged and unlocked the gate.

A few minutes later the inspector came running across the pasture towards the gate as fast as he could run--which was pretty fast since about two feet behind him there were two pointed horns attached to a huge, agitated Brahama bull. The farmer grinned and yelled out "Show him your card! Show him your card!."
--Bob
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

(Smiles). Had someone complain on me some years ago that my 'livestock' was running wild, and causing a disturbance in the neighborhood. So the county sent out the zoning guy, who is like a gopher anyway, and just loved to give me tickets for 'old rusty junk' that was my farm equipment. Wound up in court with this stooge several times, and the feeling of angst was more than mutual. Anyway, I saw him traipsing about peeking in the old barn and wood shed building, and I met him on the way out. I asked and he explained the complaint about wild livestock, "where are they?" Oh, THEM, right over here... I went behind a stack of boxes and topped the cover off the behive super. Man, did he run for the car......

It was worth all the harrassment that followed for a year.

The fuel bottles with the anti-pour, anti-adult lids are all that is available, so I guess they are Fed mandated.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

As to the new gas can spouts that take both hands to operate and hold open, As I am buying new gas cans I am swithing out the old spouts and trowing away the new ones with the old cans. All is good.

As to yellow I am using it as a oil tank and it is working great as a fuel tank. I am worried that the plastic may not be the type to take long exposure to the oil and may become brittle at some point in its life.

It sure worked great on the last run though and I did not have to worry about switching cans near the end of the run

It was also my first real success on the long beam parts. I followed all the advice given and they came out great. All the risers filled up together telling me I had good flow from one end to the other.
DSC_0105.jpg
By using larger fillets the I beam sections filled from end to end
DSC_0112.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
RCW

Post by RCW »

Congrats! Great work. Keep learning so you can teach me when I get to that point. :wink:
--Bob
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Payment recieved. Assuming Colin posts it tomorrow I wonder how long it will take to get here.
Did you get the book?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Your parts look great! I love the fish. Sorry I couldn't help much, my experience is in investment casting; large scale.

And yes, we can only get those stupid new cans. But, we can get the old ones in Vermont, so it must be a state thing.

Jim B
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

Pipescs wrote:
Did you get the book?

Yes I did. Now looking for a barrel! Sorry for the late post. been busy with the holidays and also a little on the lazy side.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Victor O/A
Esab PCM-875
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I ended up writing a short article on the construction of the furnace for Live Steam Magazine.

Although the Editor appeared to be happy with it, I have not heard if it will be published, or when

Latest Project is a Pattern Set for the ELASCO Feed Water Heater main body.
Second trip (246).jpg

If it works out, this will end up in the hands of David Bortz, to go with the end caps and base he currently sells.
DSC_0312.jpg
The core gives you an idea of its size.
DSC_0311.jpg
This will be my largest casting attempt to date
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Yes I did. Now looking for a barrel! Sorry for the late post. been busy with the holidays and also a little on the lazy side.
You do realize it took me two years to finish mine.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American