Confused over threading gears

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Torch

Re: Confused over threading gears

Post by Torch »

Ok, that's one of the areas where our machines differ. Mine has a quick-change gearbox in that location.
shepdog

Post by shepdog »

Well torch, practiced your method, got close on a few, and think I've got it down....only problem was my chuck kept hanging up on even the lightest cuts....so today was remove the main spindle day.

Wasn't too hard, and the bearings were definitely in need if replacement...any suggestions on sources, as I suspect the ones from busy bee may not be top grade.
Torch

Post by Torch »

shepdog wrote:Well torch, practiced your method, got close on a few, and think I've got it down....only problem was my chuck kept hanging up on even the lightest cuts....so today was remove the main spindle day.

Wasn't too hard, and the bearings were definitely in need if replacement...any suggestions on sources, as I suspect the ones from busy bee may not be top grade.
Canadian Bearing Supply has outlets in Hamilton and the head office is in Mississauga. I bought bearings for my mill spindle from their Barrie outlet. BDI is on Gray's Rd. in Stoney Creek and I've bought bearings there in the distant past for other applications -- the counter guy was pretty knowledgeable in sizing up bearings and seals. Looking in the Yellow pages, there's a Thordon Bearings on Mainway in Burlington, but I have no experience with them and Koyo Canada's head office is on the South Service Rd. in Burlington. They are a manufacturer and I don't know if they have a counter for retail sales or not.

Your bearings should have a number on them. If yours are the same as mine, one will be a 2007108, the Chinese equivalent of a 32008 tapered roller bearing, which is 40mm x 68mm x 19mm

The other would be a 2007109, the Chinese version of the 32009 tapered roller bearing, 45mm x 75mm x 20mm

However, I would highly recommend checking what is actually fitted in your machine before ordering since they may have changed the specs over the years. At the very least, check your parts diagram in your manual (if you have it) and see if the size or number is listed.

Bear in mind that the bearings are tapered rollers, so if the problem is just sloppiness, they may simply require proper adjustment (they require a slight pre-load). If they are brinnelled (rough) then they need to be replaced.
shepdog

Post by shepdog »

They weren't sloppy, the problem was the spindle was not spinning freely.....there's a spring clip around the drive gear that seemed like it had moved out of position, it was actually out over the small grub screw...

one thing I noticed is absolutely zero grease in the two bearings....is this normal? I'm used to greasing the taper bearings on my motorcycle, so it seemed odd.

Ordered two new bearings, since I had it apart....something about an ounce of prevention....? :lol: