Galloping Goose-My First project

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

mikes5785

Re: Galloping Goose-My First project

Post by mikes5785 »

How much finishing work was needed to fit the cast body parts together

Mike
James A wrote:I have made a little progress since my last post. Still some work to do on the cab and castings before it gets paint. I really need to build a stand and get it off my workbench.

James A

Post by James A »

mikes5785 wrote:How much finishing work was needed to fit the cast body parts together

Mike
James A wrote:I have made a little progress since my last post. Still some work to do on the cab and castings before it gets paint. I really need to build a stand and get it off my workbench.
The castings are somewhat rough. They are made from recycled aluminum. I used a 12" Disc Sander for most of the smoothing and squaring of them. I used a grinder on some things also. I filled some pocked areas with JB Weld but mostly I laid on a thin layer of automotive body filler and sanded using different grit paper. I have added the trim on the cab walls and assembled and painted the castings and cab. I have some updated photos I will post.
James A

Post by James A »

Here are some current pics

click here

click here
mikes5785

Post by mikes5785 »

James A wrote:Here are some current pics
How are the casting pieces held together????

Mike
James A

Post by James A »

mikes5785 wrote:
James A wrote:Here are some current pics
How are the casting pieces held together????

Mike

The sides, hood and doors all have tabs the allow for drilling and tapping for screws. Mine are drilled and tapped for 8-32 screws. The plans call for PH but I used Allen head cap screws.
James A

Post by James A »

Ok, still some work to do on it but it is up and running.

Patrick.B

Post by Patrick.B »

Looking good!

Congratulations on getting your first locomotive up and running! Now, as many people in this hobby do, you can start dreaming / planning your next.
Northeastern Ohio Live Steamers
3.5", 4.75", & 7.5" gauge club
Medina, Ohio
www.neols.net
James A

Post by James A »

Patrick.B wrote:Looking good!

Congratulations on getting your first locomotive up and running! Now, as many people in this hobby do, you can start dreaming / planning your next.
Thanks. The headlights are done sans a mounting bracket. Cowcatcher and stake bed are next. I was planning my next project before I started this one :lol:
PBnJRR

Post by PBnJRR »

I've been curious about the design of the suspension on this goose. It appears that the rear power axle is fixed to the frame with no spring. Does this not cause undue stress to the track with the bulk of the weight on this axle? Is it comfortable to ride over less than perfect track? I have considered trying to build one of these myself as it looks really neat and affordable for a beginner like me.
Christopher Bisset, Brass Hat
PB&JRR
Baird, Texas, USA
James A

Post by James A »

PBnJRR wrote:I've been curious about the design of the suspension on this goose. It appears that the rear power axle is fixed to the frame with no spring. Does this not cause undue stress to the track with the bulk of the weight on this axle? Is it comfortable to ride over less than perfect track? I have considered trying to build one of these myself as it looks really neat and affordable for a beginner like me.
You are correct in that the rear power axle is mounted directly to the frame with no spring. I can't say for sure as I haven't had this very long if it causes undue stress to the track. My feelings are no, we aren't talking a lot of weight here. As my Goose sits in the above picture, I can carry it if I need to. Until you install the batteries in the rear box, the front is heavier. I've got a little over 100lbs on the power axle at that point. Add me and it comes to around 315lbs. The couple of times I rode on the seat I didn't notice it being overly rough. I suppose that could vary based on track condition. Define less than perfect? The track I was on is pretty good but not perfect and it was ok. It is a neat and affordable beginning project. It has been for me anyway.
TheBoiler

Post by TheBoiler »

Just wondering if there was anything you would do differently if you were doing it again?
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

James A wrote:Ok, still some work to do on it but it is up and running.

Looking great. What did you use for the motor? Looks like it came from a children's sidewalk car. That's what I'm using on my AGEIR boxcab diesel electric.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi