Home Railway Journal

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Berne Ketchum

Re: Home Railway Journal

Post by Berne Ketchum »

Digital magazines and digital images of print magazines are fine and convenient, but they are not nearly as permanent as hard copies. If you hope to keep digital stuff for a long time — more than 8-10 years, consider re-burning cds at intervals, because they have been known to go bad — will depend some on the disc storage conditions. If you're storing on a hard drive, be aware that you need a backup, because hard drives sometimes crash.

The other issue is changing software. I have electronic information that I stored about four operating systems ago — maybe 20 years — that is nowadays very difficult to retrieve. Every time you buy a new computer or software, you need to make sure it will access your old files. PDFs may be the standard format for decades, but who can say?
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

It's funny but I see a trend emerging here.

Old hands want to keep the paper edition, while the younger folks want a digital edition. Perhaps all those iPad commercials are actually working.

I prefer the tactile enjoyment a real magazine gives me, and I also have a harder time reading text on a screen than on paper. Maybe it's my eyes or maybe it's all in my head, but i don't retain it as well. LOL

Cheers,

ADK
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
Prospect

Post by Prospect »

Just my 2 cents worth I do prefer the paper magazines, but do appreciate the digital versions. One nice thing with Model Engineer and Model Engineer Workshop Magazines is that while they are expensive for us in N.A., if you are a subscriber you also get the digital version. Maybe our local mags could provide a similar service for a reasonably increased subscription charge. John
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I was the first one on this thread to say that I don't like the digital magazines... And I am still in my 30s. I just like the idea of not living my entire life on the computer or staring at the television. One of the things that I also do is keep a few magazines beside the bed. At night, I will read for about 15 minutes before going to sleep. It relaxes me and increases my knowledge at the same time. It just isn't the same reading off of a Kindle Fire, at least not to me.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I don't know about the rest of you , but it is nice to have something to thumb through whilst in the "library".....
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

I prefer the paper magazines. I like the freedom to quickly access an article and not have to boot up the computer. This is especially helpful in the shop.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I like them both. For browsing I like the paper copies. When I 'm looking for something in particular there isn't anything better than being able to do a digital search. Of course, there would be more room in my office if I didn't have 35+ linear feet of magazines on the shelf. :(
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I always like reading Home Railway Journal and I have written a couple of Articles for the Magazine but have not heard anything when they will be published, Perhaps Matt Mason can tell us when the next one will appear?
David Markwick
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Matt,
I have up to the spring 2011 issue. If you put out any since then (the website is down so I cannot look at the various covers to see) please let me know as I want to purchase the missing back issues. I have tried to reach you but the emails don't seem to work.
Thanks.
Ben
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Goose

Post by Goose »

The last posting on the facbook-page of the Home Railway Journal https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Home ... 3767715579 is from november 29, 2011 and mentioned, that the latest issue was mailed.

That was the Winter 2011 issue, and the issue before I have in stock is Fall 2010.
Greetings from Germany
Hubert The Goose
http://www.7-plus-ngm.org/pcr
http://www.7-plus-ngm.org
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Then it looks like you are only short the Spring 2011 issue. It features a SP Geep on the cover.

PLEASE... if HRJ is started again numbering the issues consecutively would be a nice change.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"