Walt Disney at Dick Jackson's 1" Scale Railroad

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DJSteamer3017

Walt Disney at Dick Jackson's 1" Scale Railroad

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Hello My Colleagues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7q_x9uGiQ

Here's a bit of Disney and Live Steam History. In this video On YouTube we Walt Disney at Dick Jackson's 1" Scale Home Railway with late Disney Animator Ward Kimball and his family. We see Walt Running Dick's 4-4-0 if I'm not mistaken. As we all know Dick Jackson's home was the first home of the Southern California Live Steamers and where Lawrence Hiney collaborated in the construction of Late Disney Animator Ollie Johnston's own 1" Scale 4-6-2 Pacific, La Canada Valley 515. Does anybody have an iDea where Dick Jackson's collection ended up? Thanks and Keep on Steamin' My Friends!!

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Walt Disney at Dick Jackson's 1" Scale Railroad

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Interesting. I still want to get a copy of the Walt Disney book from the past 10 years that discussed Walt's railroad ties. Either the video is sped up a lot or he is really flying!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

transfer is at wrong frame rate from what I can tell. Look for people waving their hands too fast.

If you want to see good footage of Ollie Johnston's place as well as Carolwood, check out the Where the Stories Come From episode on the "Your Host, Walt Disney" DVD set:
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Host-Walt-Di ... 000ICM5RG/

The "Walt Disney's Railroads Story" book is very good and is recommended. I have it in my collection.

If you are inclined to travel, the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco has the original Lilly Belle and its train on display, and Ward Kimball's full sized narrow gauge locomotives, including the Chloe, are at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris, CA. Walt's barn from Carolwood is on display at Los Angeles Live Steamers, and contains a mini-disney railroading museum within. Next to the barn is the original RETLAW-1 combine car from the Disneyland Railroad which is a match for the rest of the cars now located at the Pacific Coast Railroad / Santa Margarita Ranch operation.

--Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
JohnY

Post by JohnY »

As we all know Dick Jackson's home was the first home of the Southern California Live Steamers and where Lawrence Hiney collaborated in the construction of Late Disney Animator Ollie Johnston's own 1" Scale 4-6-2 Pacific, La Canada Valley 515. Does anybody have an iDea where Dick Jackson's collection ended up? Thanks and Keep on Steamin' My Friends!!
Hi All,

Does any know the where abouts of Lee Hiney (Lawrence's son)? I last saw him at LALS some years back working at Walt's barn from Carolwood. We had become good friends and I've lost track of him. Emails are not answered, which concerns me.

Cheers,

JohnY
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Benjamin....

I believe Michael Broggie has an updated edition of his book, Walt Disney's Railroad Story.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

DJSteamer3017 wrote:Hello My Colleagues

Does anybody have an iDea where Dick Jackson's collection ended up? Thanks and Keep on Steamin' My Friends!!

David

I just comunicated with my Friend Michael Broggie about this and this iswhat he replied to me

"The question asked about where Dick Jackson's equipment went: His son, Jim Jackson has it. The last contact I had with him, he was living in Bear Valley Springs, CA."

Mike Venezia
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Highiron wrote: "The question asked about where Dick Jackson's equipment went: His son, Jim Jackson has it. The last contact I had with him, he was living in Bear Valley Springs, CA."

Mike Venezia
Oh that's right. My g/f lives down the road from him in BVS. Small 4 3/4 track around his house.

I think he also has Walt's European engine he bought before he built the Lilly Belle. It's mentioned in the book.

-Mike
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Harlock wrote:
Highiron wrote: "The question asked about where Dick Jackson's equipment went: His son, Jim Jackson has it. The last contact I had with him, he was living in Bear Valley Springs, CA."

Mike Venezia
Oh that's right. My g/f lives down the road from him in BVS. Small 4 3/4 track around his house.

I think he also has Walt's European engine he bought before he built the Lilly Belle. It's mentioned in the book.

-Mike
The Basset Lowke European Locomotive is actually in the Barn at LALS and on display
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

Harlock wrote:

Mike Venezia

-Mike
Mike,

Is it visible on Google maps?

David
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

srrl5 wrote:
Harlock wrote:

Mike Venezia

-Mike
Mike,

Is it visible on Google maps?

David
I'll look and let you know offline. Would not want to post his location publicly.
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Mike
Good Idea is Bear Valley Springs it's own city or a region in Tehachapi, I looked up BVS on the map at it led me to Tehachapi. Care to enlighten me as we'll ;) lol

David
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

DJSteamer3017 wrote:Mike
Good Idea is Bear Valley Springs it's own city or a region in Tehachapi, I looked up BVS on the map at it led me to Tehachapi. Care to enlighten me as we'll ;) lol

David
It's a gated community in the mountains above tehachapi.