Walt Disney at Dick Jackson's 1" Scale Railroad

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cp4449

Re: Walt Disney at Dick Jackson's 1" Scale Railroad

Post by cp4449 »

I would be kind of someone to ask him if he could bring some of his father's equipment to the LALS Spring Meet this year/ or the Small Scales Meet at LALS on July 12-14.......It would be a fantastic if we could get the Sessums (sp?) Family to bring some of Jack's stuff to LALS also.

I fact it would be kind of anyone who can come to either or both events to bring your dusty 1 inch or smaller scale stuff that is sitting in the garage.....
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

The Locomotive in the Video that Walt is Running is Dick's 4-4-0 Colorado Central 900, and as story goes his 4-4-0 was a 4-6-0 and the 1st One Inch Scale Locomotive built west of Chicago. Is it possible that the casting used where from Van Brocklin or Lester Friend? Thanks and Keep on Steamin' My Friends!!

David
Attachments
image.jpg
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I've read the story written about this locomotive. What I read was that the locomotive was originally going to be built as a 4-6-0, but that would have been too long to get into the back of the station wagon that he used to haul it and the family in at the same time. The locomotive was redesigned and then built as a 4-4-0, which would fit comfortably into the back of the wagon.

I believe that most of this was published in the very early years of Live Steam magazine... Sometime in the late 1960s or thereabouts.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I have a more or less final update on the Jim Jackson property in Bear Valley Springs, CA.

Last night I noticed it was up for sale. (I believe Jim's been dead for a number of years now and the property was watched over by a relative)

My girlfriend lives in the same gated community so this morning on my way out I drove by and found that all the track had been ripped out, so that's the end of that. It was 4 3/4" and 7 1/2", BTW.

Since it's all gone and vacant and up for sale now, I have no problem posting the public real estate listing:

http://www.trulia.com/property/31478565 ... i-CA-93561

And google map view:

https://goo.gl/maps/EKBIu

You can easily see the former dog bone layout.

In the real estate listing at the end of the photos there are some older photos of the former shop and you can see a nice whistle on the wall and a lathe in the far background, artifacts of a live steamer.

Private railroads almost never survive the death of their original owner, and this one was no exception...

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Mike,

Any word on the 1" 4-4-0?

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

DJSteamer3017 wrote:Mike,

Any word on the 1" 4-4-0?

David
Nope no idea....
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
SoCalLiveSteamer#613

Post by SoCalLiveSteamer#613 »

JohnY wrote:
As we all know Dick Jackson's home was the first home of the Southern California Live Steamers and where Lawrence Hiney collaborated in the construction of Late Disney Animator Ollie Johnston's own 1" Scale 4-6-2 Pacific, La Canada Valley 515. Does anybody have an iDea where Dick Jackson's collection ended up? Thanks and Keep on Steamin' My Friends!!
Hi All,

Does any know the where abouts of Lee Hiney (Lawrence's son)? I last saw him at LALS some years back working at Walt's barn from Carolwood. We had become good friends and I've lost track of him. Emails are not answered, which concerns me.

Cheers,

JohnY
His other son, Harlan Hiney, the great and famous railroad artists is still here in LA although I havent seen him in about 2 years. His wife, himself and nephew are members of our live steam club here in Torrance SCLS. I know his brother has the loco but they do not speak as far as I know.

Charlie
Going in circles any day, anywhere as long as its on a steam engine!