Been trying to get a good lathe, opinions?? 10" LOGAN FANS!!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dirtcrasher1

Been trying to get a good lathe, opinions?? 10" LOGAN FANS!!

Post by dirtcrasher1 »

Hey guys,
I have an older Southbend and I cannot hold tolerances with it. I have been trying to get one from "Gold Machinery" who obviously buys out company's machines. Usually they paint them but I prefer to see them AS IS.

So, my question is, is this worth 3K plus?? I will be bringing a magnetic base and dial indicator with a .625 ground dowel pin.

Here is the link and thanks for the help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-10-x ... OR:US:1123

I offered 3K, he claims he forgot "flame hardened" and the Aloris tool post and wants 3400$. I am prepared to offer 3200$ but these guys don't budge much. 1.375 thru hole the chuck is just what I need. I was looking for a Heavy 10..........

Thank you
Last edited by dirtcrasher1 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Evans

Re: Been trying to get a decent lathe, opinions??

Post by John Evans »

Looks like it has a D1 cam lock spindle ,a big plus to me. That heavy 10 with the hard bed and camlock spindle is the only SB I would ever consider buying. I prefer my Chinese gear heads myself, may have been lucky but my 12X36 Acra -Turn has been great the last 7 years.
www.chaski.com
atomarc

Post by atomarc »

This subject is touchy territory. It sounds like you are dead set on American iron and the SB fits the bill plus it probably may have some nostalgic properties as well. For $3000 buck you can buy a brand new Grizzly lathe with lots of accessories. I feel that 'brand new Chinese' is better than 'Old worn out American'! A typical SB has probably seen high school shop time or something along those lines...a tough gig for sure.

It's hard to convince a dyed in the wool American iron aficionado that the offshore stuff has any merit. I won't try to do that. I had a Grizzly lathe and it worked perfectly for many years and paid for itself about a hundred times. As my dear old dad was heard to say..."take my advice and suit yourself" :D

Stuart
dirtcrasher1

Post by dirtcrasher1 »

Please keep the opinions coming.

I need a good lathe fast!!
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

I bought this lathe a year ago:

http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=116&ID=2371

Similiar to the Grizzly 12 x 36

I'm a retired tool & diemaker, while my brother is a toolie running manual & CNC m/cing centers. While I was @ work a lot of guys suggested I buy a used high school lathe & mill for my shop. My brother would probably agree w/ Stuart's comment about the use/abuse a high school lathe would see.

My brother took m/c shop all thru high school. In grade 12 during his "spare" class he helped 1 of the teachers w/ his grade 9 students. I'm pretty sure he saw the abuse.

Another thing we didn't want to get into is refurbishing used equipment. Both of us are mechanically handy, but this would be a new task for us. Besides, I wanted to be able to use the equipment once it was delivered.

The only thing I wasn't happy w/ the lathe was the instructions. Grizzly's manual was much more detailed.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I wouldn't pay that much for it. But then I laughed during an interview when they showed me their only manual lathe. A 16" South Bend which was fresh from the Navy. I told them they needed a real lathe to support their CNC machines. Look around at the new lathes first before you decide.

Richard W.
dirtcrasher1

Post by dirtcrasher1 »

atomarc wrote:This subject is touchy territory. It sounds like you are dead set on American iron and the SB fits the bill plus it probably may have some nostalgic properties as well. For $3000 buck you can buy a brand new Grizzly lathe with lots of accessories. I feel that 'brand new Chinese' is better than 'Old worn out American'! A typical SB has probably seen high school shop time or something along those lines...a tough gig for sure.

It's hard to convince a dyed in the wool American iron aficionado that the offshore stuff has any merit. I won't try to do that. I had a Grizzly lathe and it worked perfectly for many years and paid for itself about a hundred times. As my dear old dad was heard to say..."take my advice and suit yourself" :D

Stuart

It's not that I'm dead set, however, I always loved the heavy ten. I thought old American iron was good. I just want to spend about 3K and get a well equipped lathe that holds .001. Not .0002. I'll have to see whats available around Mass for a Grizzly and at least look into it.
blackdog

Post by blackdog »

dirtcrasher1 wrote: I thought old American iron was good. I just want to spend about 3K......
It is & of that there is no doubt. If you have the capability to assess the condition the you're all set. If I had 3k burning a hole in my pocket, I would be looking for a 14" Rockwell.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Wait a long time for a deal and buy old American, or go out right now and buy new Asian.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

Check out Tony's advice on buying a lathe

http://www.lathes.co.uk/page2.html

I've never come across a "five jaw chuck" before.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 »

Years ago, I spent quite a bit of time looking for an older American built lathe when I lived near Columbus, Ohio. I saw a lot of worn out stuff. One SB Heavy had so much bed wear in the area in front of the chuck that the flats on the top of the V ways were gone and the lead screw had the same issue in the same place. (I actually saw this lathe 3 times as it was sold to different people who did not know that it was so badly worn because they were newbies.) I eventually gave up and purchased a JET lathe. I would not want to purchase a lathe from a dealer without seeing it in person first. You should have a checklist of things to look for like bed/lead screw wear, bearings, motor, tooling, etc.
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

You might consider the diameter of work that you would be doing with a 1400 rpm max spindle speed. (plain bearing spindle...)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!