Kozo K-27 build thread

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

SilverSanJuan

Re: Kozo K-27 build thread

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Curtis_F wrote:Todd,

The guy making the master pattern for Marty seriously dropped the ball, so he only received the pattern recently. I would suspect that his foundry has it by now and is working on making copies and board mounting.

Cheers,
Curtis F.
Thanks Curtis. :)
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Harold_V wrote:
Andypullen wrote:I'm going to key mine because I don't trust loctite. I know....I'm probably going to get some flack for that comment. It's all in the prep....
No flack from me. I share your views, in spite of the fact I've used LocTite, and know it works.

It has been (and is) my opinion, --that if you have the necessary skill level to do the work without using glue, avoid its use. One achieves and maintains such skills by doing---which, if avoided, is soon lost.

Harold
I've used loctite for years. Properly prepped, with the proper clearances and set to cure properly, it's fine. Many pump shafts with bronze sleeves for the seal rings were assembled with sleeve retainer.

Kozo shows in the article to let the axles and cranks cure in the horizontal position. At my previous job, we had the loctite people come in and give a "class" on the proper preperation and use of their product. According to that instructor; you want to let the sleeve retainer cure in the vertical position so gravity won't draw the adhesive to the bottom side. Your parts could run out if the clearances are too great.

I had a locomotive in my shop several years ago that the customer had started. He had assembled the tender trucks and I had to dis-assemble them to apply brake rigging to them. While they were apart; I tapered the treads on the wheels and cleaned up the flanges, why he hadn't done that, I don't know. But, one of the wheels was running out by about .01". I looked closer at it and there was a glob of loctite holding the wheel on the axle on one side of the bore. He had cut the axle too small and figured that the excess loctite would hold it. A new axle was made and everything was refitted.

Harold's right. Strive for good fits and finishes and all will go together as it should. I use gauge pins to size bores in the lathe and make the shaft .001" over the pin size and get a nice press fit that way.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Andy is right about the position for the Loctite to cure, I had the same kind of class.
Funny about Loctite...I use it all the time in my "paying" work, but for this I'd rather not!

Paul
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Im doing my axle boxes a little differently than Kozo did.. I had a length of 5/8" x 1 1/2" brass that I machined down to the metric dimensions, then cut each block out individually. I used the stop on the mill vise, and machined each one to it's dimensions..
here are some pics..
John
Attachments
DSCN1034.JPG
DSCN1035.JPG
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

And the blocks all bolted together, and ready for boring... I used 4-40 x 5/8" bolts..
John
Attachments
image.jpg
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Lookin' good, John!

Todd
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Unrelated question

Does anyone sell plans and castings today for a 7.5 gauge K-27?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Pipescs wrote:Unrelated question

Does anyone sell plans and castings today for a 7.5 gauge K-27?
I believe Richard Ulin does. Harlock (Mike Massee) posted a video of one.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

There is one featured in Mike's Flintridge and Portolla Valley video, I believe it is Richard Ulin's 2.5" to the foot.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0oOaJEaEo
one of my favourite you tube movies!

Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

It was just a curiosity question, let's not pirate this great build thread.

Not my scale but I have learned so much from the Kozo Books I am looking forward to following this group.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Here's the cranks being reamed on a fixture, the same fixture will be used to profile the cranks, and machine the round boss on the cranks..
John
Attachments
DSCN1036.JPG
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Wondering if anyone has made castings for K27 coupled wheels yet?

Mountaineer