Cool: The first mechanical gear in a living creature

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

jim314159

Cool: The first mechanical gear in a living creature

Post by jim314159 »

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... e-15916433

It would have been pretty impressive if the teeth actually followed the involute form.

--jim
spro

Re: Cool: The first mechanical gear in a living creature

Post by spro »

Fascinating. In Paragraph 5 they are described and even that is lacking. Note they are at a flexible angle, a fluid miter. The teeth become spherical, fitting mating pockets. Involute is primitive by comparison. THE LORD in all majesty anon.
thomas harris

Post by thomas harris »

Last edited by thomas harris on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atlas 618,MM challenger wire welder, 4x6 cheapo bandsaw, assorted junk, spears for hunting mastadons.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Wonder if a "stripped gear" would be permanently crippling, or if it would regenerate? :?
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

ronm wrote:Wonder if a "stripped gear" would be permanently crippling, or if it would regenerate? :?
Reading through the article apparently the shed their exo-skeleton several time while they grow. Their adult exo-skeleton does not have the gears since they no longer shed the skeletons they would not be able to replace a gear if they stripped one.
spro

Post by spro »

When nature does these things which are mechanical there is that regenerative ability. The ability is "programed" to the cycle. The cycle of maturity in this critter meant it no longer needed those legs. It was supposed to have already mated or whatever. Back to the gears, they are "programed" to be gears. They are dependent on what they are expected to do and do it regardless. The action isn't isolated and probably wears at all points but is constantly regenerated. So what we know as "moly" or similar is a media which is the gears. It lubricates and also becomes the form required.
I'm only rambling of course but it is interesting.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

thomas harris wrote:had a teacher in high school biology who would tell us that things are so perfectly designed for life in creatures and humans that we had to be created by a far greater power and not just by chance.
Heh! If it's "so perfectly designed", why are people born with defects?

He was certainly entitled to his opinion, but I don't buy it. Who was he, or anyone, for that matter, to suggest that life can't be spontaneous? Where is the evidence to support that it is not? Science knows it's virtually impossible for life to not begin (assuming favorable conditions), witness the huge explosions of life forms after catastrophic events of time long gone by. A good example is the time immediately after the extinction of the dinosaur.

There is nothing credible at our disposal to suggest that life is from any particular source, and to make an uneducated guess because of one's religious convictions has no merit. That one chooses to believe in a supreme being does not prove there is one.

I'll not say anything more on this subject, and I hope others don't, either, as religion is not an acceptable topic for this board. However, considering that someone has gone out of their way to post their (religious) belief, a response was not only warranted, but necessary.

Drop the subject. This board is not the place to discuss religion, or ones religious beliefs.

The discussion about the gears found in that critter are perfectly acceptable. Just keep religion out of the discussion.

Harold

edit
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

A few years back, In riverstone clay deposits of China, they discovered an ancient Chicken built like a Dragonfly, 4 wings and 4 legs, short beak and feathers. Wouldn't ya know the Col Sanders people wanted to know if there was a chance for cloning DNA. China fearing they ate them to extinction refused any further work on the project. So the story goes... :twisted:

ok, sorry, but I had to. The 4 winged chicken is real tho, in the fossil record. So Buffalo Wild Wings.....
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ronm

Post by ronm »

redneckalbertan wrote:
ronm wrote:Wonder if a "stripped gear" would be permanently crippling, or if it would regenerate? :?
Reading through the article apparently the shed their exo-skeleton several time while they grow. Their adult exo-skeleton does not have the gears since they no longer shed the skeletons they would not be able to replace a gear if they stripped one.
Yep-kinda my thoughts too...I mean, it is a dang bug...they probably reproduce by the thousands & live about a week...& after all, the birds & big bugs need to eat too... :roll:
thomas harris

Post by thomas harris »

Last edited by thomas harris on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atlas 618,MM challenger wire welder, 4x6 cheapo bandsaw, assorted junk, spears for hunting mastadons.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

If the records are right, there are 1.3 times the human population in chickens used exclusivly for food. Bon Apetit.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Dave,
1.3 chickens per person per: year? month? day? Myself, I eat at most maybe 1.3 per month, but I know some cattlemen who haven't eaten that much chicken in 40 years... :roll: