Thought I'll share this.

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Jose Rivera

Thought I'll share this.

Post by Jose Rivera »

There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
ken572

Re: Thought I'll share this.

Post by ken572 »

Jose,

Thanks for the TUBE Share.. 8)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Jose, could You Do Us one small favor? Buy one and let Us know how well it works! :D
dly31

Post by dly31 »

This is very interesting and they may very well have an improved method of converting water to hydrogen and oxygen but neither the application nor the principle are new. "Water torches" have been used by jewelers and probably others for a very, very long time. I noted that no welding was shown, only hard soldering or brazing. We did a similar thing in high school chemistry class in 1948 using a little glass and metal gadget made for the purpose. The conversion is commonly done simply by inserting DC electrical probes into the water. Hydrogen bubbles off one electrode and oxygen off the other. I do not recall which electrode is which. This generation process is not very efficient but it works well. Hopefully these people have a better system.
Don Young
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

dly31 wrote: Hydrogen bubbles off one electrode and oxygen off the other. I do not recall which electrode is which.
I'm going to take a shot in the dark, having just set up an anodizing line. I expect the anode (+) generates the oxygen, with the hydrogen coming from the cathode. My logic revolves around the idea that in anodizing, the part is the anode. The process converts the surface of aluminum to aluminum oxide, so that pole generating the oxygen makes sense. I'm certainly open to correction if I'm wrong.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

harold i have to agree . when the water is spit
oxygen should have a negative charge and hydrogen a positive. the should then be attracted tothe eletrodes having a oposite charge.

the process of hydrogen generation is refered to as electrolisis. a plunge into hydrogen generators and electrolisis
will keep a person occupied for weeks

these are much the same as brown gas generators that are all the rage everytime gasoline prices go up

i remenber building one using eletrical blank covers ( STAINLESS STEEL) for the plates. the gas burns well in a plumbers hand tourch

a look at google images will show lots of equipment to generate hydrogen.

all fun
ken572

Post by ken572 »

hammermill wrote:i remenber building one using eletrical blank covers ( STAINLESS STEEL) for the plates. the gas burns well in a plumbers hand tourch

all fun
Hammer,
How big was your flame :?:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

it was a small tip on a fuel air handtorch the same as plumbers used to use off a small acy bottle you could of worked jewlery with it
TomB

Post by TomB »

I remember playing with that in the days when I got a Gilbert Chemistry Set for Christmas. Set up two test tubes inverted in a cereal bowl and fill all with salt water, Take two pieces of copper wire and bend with a cork screw end and bend them again so they inserted up into the test tubes. Then connect the ends of the wire to one of those old batteries that had the screw down lugs. The next day the test tubes were half filled with gas in a ratio of 2:1. The books explanation was that you had separated water into the elements. But being a seven year old you could easily think of further steps. Take the H2 side and tilt it over a match and sure enough it went bang. Take the O2 side and try to breath it. Surprise what you had was not O2 gas it was Cl2 as, i.e. Chlorine. I did the experiment a couple of times with all the old radio batteries I could find and the result repeated. I expect the O was replacing the CL in the salt but I never got so far into chemistry that I understood the energy balances. The process created a lot of corrosion and white precipitate, probably Sodium Oxide, so I suspect there must be a lot of extra steps used in a real industrial process.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, you found the ne catch why this process doesn't work as well as it might. Water is highly resistive in a pure state, and poor conductor. So you add something to it to give it the ability to generate more ions. Salt is a good one as both Chlorine and Sodium are active on the periodic scale. The hitch is the stripping of Chlorine into the process making it undesirable. Just using hard water, carrying Calcium and other dissolved minerals, lower the natural resistance of water. Acids or bases work well, but add another technical wrinkle to the water feed side, most with less than desirable results.

There was a scheme to use solar panels to break water, and store the hydrogen-oxygen components for running off grid generators, that gave way to using a power cells to use as on demand power. Being it is low voltage DC with low current it is good for electronic gear, but you cant do much work with it. Contamination of the membranes by iron, is death to the cell, so you really have to watch the garbage put in and taken out. I havent heard much about it in 20 years, so I guess the physical part is not credible to use at this point. Unless you fly spacecraft.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

we used KOH or/ie potash in the generator and a after water scrubber