Detroit Lubricators

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ken572

Re: Detroit Lubricators

Post by ken572 »

JBodenmann wrote:Hello My Friends
Here are some photos of a finished lubricator.
Jack
Jack :D

You did a fantastic job on your lubricator.

VERY COOL 8)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First off thank you for the compliments. The lubricators have two cylinders and thus two feeds, and yes they work quite well. I have several out there in service although in Nathan DV7 bodies. I designed the mechanism to fit both the DV7 and Detroit casting set. As stated before the pump main body is made of aluminum bronze, the oscillating cylinders are 932 bronze. The crank shaft, crank, and cylinder pivot screws are hardened steel. The pistons are stainless steel with viton O ring packings. There is a functioning sight glass and there are banjo fittings with 1/8" model pipe threads out the back that can be rotated as desired. You can see the banjo fittings in the view of the back. There is also a removable crank handle for manually operating the lubricator. The sixteen outlets out the top are dummies and are drilled for .046 rod to simulate 3/8" oil lines. Counting little screws, #1-72, and #0-80 studs, nuts, bolts, castings, ball bearings, roller clutches, .015" cotter pins, name plates, and machined bits, there is over 200 parts in the lubricator. I have sharpened my pencil and am working up a price. I will probably have a special deal for pre production orders. I am also getting a quote from a friend with a CNC machine shop for some of the pieces. That is why I don't have a price yet. Also if you want to put your own lubricator together Brad sells the body castings. I hope to produce some DV7 lubricators in the future. The DV7 is a much simpler lubricator and will cost considerably less. As soon as I come up with a price I will post it in the for sale section.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is another photo. Taken with a macro lens so there is no depth of field.
Jack
Attachments
Detroit Close Up .jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Way cool, Jack!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Absolutely PERFECT!!! Thank you Jack for posting, its a true help and inpiration for us less talented characters!!

I would love to know the process, and paints, and paint application that you use one these small apliance parts,
prep? glass bead? primers? and paints?

also I will need a set of those info plates too!!!

Grant
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi Jack

Do you have any more Detroit lubricator. I need one for my Chicago North Western Mikado.

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I'm sorry to say that I don't have any Detroit lubricators in stock. I will be making more in the future but I don't know when.
Jack
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi Jack

I am in no hurry. I will keep my eyes open for them though.

Thanks

Tim Meyer
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.