Kozo K-27 build thread

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JohnHudak

Re: Kozo K-27 build thread

Post by JohnHudak »

Largo wrote:Enjoying this thread. I just received my driver castings on Saturday, so I'll be joining in the odyssey before long.

I had one question - does a comprehensive bill of materials exist? As it is not easy to find metric sized stock, I'd just as soon order it all at once. Probably would save on shipping that way if nothing else.

Thanx,
Brian
Brian, I haven't seen any material lists for any of Kozos locomotives, so I doubt if there will be one with this one either...
McMaster Carr has a lot of metric 1018 CRS ( but no 9mm thick for the frames...!) And while I'm sure there are others, I've always been very satisfied with their shipping and service...
Post some pics here when you get started...
John
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Well, I had a couple of weeks off from work for the holidays, and in between all the family visiting, I managed to get into the shop and get a good start on the lead truck for the K-27.
Here is a pic of what I've got done so far, and there are only a few pieces left to go.. It looks like this will be a quick build for the Jan/Feb issue...
John
Attachments
DSCN1073.JPG
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

The wheels are going into the lathe as soon as 2 orders of snifters and some axles for PostwarBob's C-19 tender are turned. The drawing is stuck to the chip shield with a magnet.

Looks great, John!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Michel Richard

Post by Michel Richard »

John Hudak's post elsewhere got me thinking and I figured out a way to rough out the little barrel parts. Bolted a 1 inch square bar to an angle plate on the mill as shown. The fulcrum is where the long bolt is on the right. Distance from the bolt centre to the tip of the tool is two inches.

Parts came out pretty rough, but I hand-finished them on the lathe.

Pretty happy with the result.

Also, a pic of the parts made this weekend.

Cheers

Michel
Attachments
IMG_1198.jpeg
Michel Richard

Post by Michel Richard »

I sometimes have trouble with posting two pics. Here's the setup
Attachments
IMG_1193.jpeg
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Nice work, Michel.

Todd
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

You guys amaze me. That's a very clever setup!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Michel Richard

Post by Michel Richard »

I'm happy to report that I am now up to date on the K-27 build, and I'm waiting for the next issue. I've got a bit of maintenance to do in the shop, and I've started building tender trucks, so I may continue with those.

I'm not afraid to say that I build to fit, and that I'm not overly concerned about the appearance of parts that won't show and won't directly fit to other parts.

Happy with the progress, though.

Michel
Attachments
IMG_1211.jpeg
IMG_1213.jpeg
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Michel, I'm working on the forks right now... I guess we have about three+ weeks to go before the next issue....?
I need to get my frame finished next...
John
Michel Richard

Post by Michel Richard »

3 - 4 weeks, I would guess, yes.

I was able to spend quite a bit of time on the frame over the holidays. Lotsa holes and tapping to do, I counted about a hundred. There's a few more, but they'll be done when the mating part is available. It's pretty big too, especially when compared to the A3. I realized along the way that one reason it's in 3 pieces, somewhat like the prototype, is probably because it can then be built on smaller machines, which is good for me, because that's what I have !

Speaking of which, the cross feed screw on my old Logan is pretty worn in some spots. the carriage moves a little bit when it's in the area that's most used (near the front of the lathe) but is fairly tight further back. Pretty sure it means I should really get a new screw. I'll see what they cost, along with a nut. Alternatively, I could try to make one out of drill rod. That would be interesting ! 3/8 th by 10 acme thread . . . .

Michel
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Looking good, Michel. Can't hardly wait for the next issue.

Todd
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

For Michel: Can you please explain that roller set-up a bit more for dunderheads like me? Is the part spinning in the mill chuck, and is that a lathe bit that moves up and down and on a radius?