New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

fresnojay

Re: New Project GE 23T Boxcab in 1.5" scale.

Post by fresnojay »

Here are a few pics of the axle and journal dry fittings. Chassis scheduled to be welded up after work tomorrow. Think I had the journals upside down in the pics but nothing is permanent, lol.

Jason
Attachments
Axle dry fit 1.jpg
Axle dry fit 2.jpg
Axle dry fit 3.jpg
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

The chassis is now welded and one piece. Now the down side, I threw out my back at work today and cannot work on the chassis :( . But it is ready for me to move on in the build when I am able to.

Jason
Attachments
CAM001901.jpg
CAM001941.jpg
CAM001951.jpg
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Over the last few days since I have been home from work bored off my rear end with a back injury. I have toyed with the chassis here and there with the assistance of my lovely wife. She did most of the chassis moving and positioning so I could do what I needed or wanted from a chair. The chassis is now able to ride the rails at least as a tow along at this point. Drive chains should be here next week and motor should be here around then too. Coupler pockets should be done and installed this weekend.

Jason
Attachments
CAM001971.jpg
CAM002051.jpg
CAM002021.jpg
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Really coming along nicely.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
chooch

Post by chooch »

Jason,
If this is your `First` loco, it would sure fool me by the looks of what you`re doing. I guess by the steel frame measures it IS heavy. Hope your back gets Much better to handle this when finished.

May I ask what you will be using for a motor, controller and battery voltage. OH, and what is the BCWRR ?
Thank you.
chooch
East Central Florida.

fresnojay wrote:Ok here are some pics of the chassis. Did a lot of filing to get the fit of the chassis right. It has been all dry fitted at this point and is ready for welding together. Going to wait till I have the mounting holes for the peds and binders drilled and set for mounting before its all welded together. The side and end plates are 3/8" steel, the Deck is 5/8" steel. It is heavy!

The road to my first loco has begun.

Jason
Kevin S

Post by Kevin S »

Chooch, the BCWRR is the Bitter Creek & Western Railroad, located on California's central coast.
-Kevin S.
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

chooch wrote:Jason,
If this is your `First` loco, it would sure fool me by the looks of what you`re doing. I guess by the steel frame measures it IS heavy. Hope your back gets Much better to handle this when finished.

May I ask what you will be using for a motor, controller and battery voltage. OH, and what is the BCWRR ?
Thank you.
chooch
East Central Florida.
Chooch,

Thanks a lot for the compliments. It is indeed my first loco and real project in the hobby. But a lot of the machine work is being done by the chassis's designer Chris Brew. As I stated in my first post I am helping Chris test his design for a possible production run in the future. There is work that I have done and has been a learning process which is what I enjoy. The current weight by a guess is in the neighborhood of around 250#. So yes it is already quite heavy.

As for my back it is much better than it was Monday and should allow me to head back to work this Monday.

For the power components:
500W motor from monster scooter
Dimension Engineering Syren 50 Controller
24v system running it all.

Kevin is also correct BCWRR = Bittercreek Western Railroad in Arroyo Grande, CA. Its a great 7.5" railroad that is privately owned and holds a few meets a year. http://www.bcwrr.org/index.html

Jason
Attachments
All ready for drive chains and motor.
All ready for drive chains and motor.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Nice build! I built a similar style unit to allow me to play trains until my Kozo A3 was completed. My father and I have put a lot of miles on it. I did the 23 ton hood version but I like the boxcab idea better just because you can stuff everything in it. Using the drawings for the 23ton, the dimensions wouldn't allow for a scale size hood. So I had to make it bigger to house 1 of the 2 marine batteries. I just settled for a sort of freelanced look but going boxcab would have been better. I might just convert it after seeing this. The prototype GE hood units were very small engines!

My frame is all 6061 aluminum, bolted together and it can pull my Dad and I around every portion of Train Mountain all day long no problem. I think it weighs about 160 lbs ready to go (with batteries). Similar set up as you with 24v, 1000w scooter motor, Dimension controller and 2 marine batteries. Similar chain drive. I really like your steel frame but at 250 lbs, that is gonna weigh more than my steam engine! :shock:

Ken-
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Ken,
One of the things I like about the weight is more in the fact of the strength that comes with it. As a moderator on another forum has said build them to last a life time or longer, Not just a 5-10 years. To me the beefy nature of this chassis' materials means just that. The plus in that means it is HEAVY and can pull a lot. For me it will only be pulling 3-4 cars but has the ability to offer assistance where a fellow steamer may need a tow back to the bays. Or in your case maybe your steamer needs rescuing. Your chassis does have the pro that mine does not in that unloading doesn't necessarily mean a trip to the transfer table which in some cases is a huge plus.

I like the boxcabs as they are different from the various critters you see out and about. Plus as you stated there is plenty of room to hide and put stuff without needing a degree in interior decorating to manage the space given. A conversion on yours would turn out very nice.

As far as this loco's the design elements incorporated into its design, Chris Brew made any needed repairs or maintenance dead easy and simple to do. From changing out a wheel to full bearing replacement. Chris did a great job in the forward thinking of these needs. Plus for someone new to the hobby in the building department its a very doable build.

Jason
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

fresnojay wrote:The plus in that means it is HEAVY and can pull a lot. For me it will only be pulling 3-4 cars but has the ability to offer assistance where a fellow steamer may need a tow back to the bays. Or in your case maybe your steamer needs rescuing.
The proper term is "SRV" (steam rescue vehicle) and it's amazing how friendly their engineers become when said steamer is asking for a "lift"... :roll: (another notch in the belt ... LOL).

It looks like a robust design for sure. Wasn't bashing the weight figure, was more an observation than anything else.

Ken-
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Oh no offense taken. My loco is like me, a little on the heavy side, lol.

Jason
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Looking Good Jason,
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.