Easy, quick, & cheap trucks?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

chooch

Re: Easy, quick, & cheap trucks?

Post by chooch »

Guess I`m not the only Older person knowing of Carl Purinton and some of the old, simple but workable building methods and parts. Anyone have the old Bethlehem Pattern Works catalogs--could get some simple build ideas from it I would think.
The "Friction Drive" system could easily be converted to electric drive.
Add some details and small changes to Diesel trucks.
Not to be Off subject but to add to "Simple" info.
chooch
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ever see Charlie's riding car couplers?

He used screen door hooks...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Bill Shields wrote:ever see Charlie's riding car couplers?

He used screen door hooks...
And they work perfectly!

Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

especially with the spring loaded latch..... :shock:

People have to be so darn SOPHISTICATED..

we need to just relax and have fun.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I can't say I'm familiar with a spring loaded screen door latch. Would someone mind posting a picture? Or better yet a picture of the item being used as a coupler!
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

redneckalbertan wrote:I can't say I'm familiar with a spring loaded screen door latch. Would someone mind posting a picture? Or better yet a picture of the item being used as a coupler!
http://img.rakuten.com/PIC/9456175/0/1/300/9456175.jpg

Also called a hook and eye.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Thanks for the picture! I don't think I have seen one of those with the spring to keep it latched. Like was said above simple!
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Yep, in the past, live steam locomotive builders had to use far less equipment, and were far less sophisticated with the tools and techniques they had at their disposal. A lot of the tips and tricks that they used would be frowned on by some today, however, you have to remember their mind-set: They were not building super-detailed museum pieces, they were building operating miniature live-steam locomotives, and they tried to get them up and running in as short a length of time as possible. Sometimes they were somewhat crude looking, but they had personality.

I do enjoy seeing the huge level of details on a lot of the locomotives being produced today. These are levels which were almost unheard of 30 years ago. However, it still makes me smile to see someone coming back into the steaming bays with a soot and oil covered locomotive that has been out pounding the rails for the past 6 to 8 hours. It might not be the prettiest or most detailed locomotive, but it sure does run and its owner has sure had a lot of fun.
Dutchman's Curve

Post by Dutchman's Curve »

I've sent a PM regarding this design.
Greg_Lewis wrote:Here's a design I got from Cal Tinkham. As you can see, a piece of flat bar is the bolster and the sides are cut from plate. I had the side frames laser cut but you can hog them out with a mill or torch-cut them with a template as no dimension is critical. Cal used aluminum plate, I used steel. The axles ride in R8 bearings in bored holes which in the photo are covered with round plates. Click on the photo for a larger view. In that view you can see holes in the side plates adjacent to the bolster which are for brake hangers. The brakes are yet to be made. These trucks are easy to make, ride well. and look plausible. I can provide drawings if you want.
BRMRR24

Post by BRMRR24 »

I really enjoyed this topic. Thanks for sharing these ideas. I love the idea of creating things easy and with items you can find just lying around.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

With our club's big anniversary meet out of the way I started making new ball bearing side frames to replace the tube-and-bushing frames.
BB side frames
BB side frames
The frames are cut from 3/8" plate and drilled to be a loose fit on 1-1/8" OD ball bearings (to allow for flexibility). A 3/4" shaft was run through the bolster (to increase strength) and the side frames pivot on the shaft and the trucks are amazingly flexible.
Assembled
Assembled
The side frames are held in place with flat washers and a cotter key but I may replace the cotter key with shaft collars.

The revised trucks sure run easy!!!
chooch

Post by chooch »

Dianne,

Yes, those trucks built like that should be Very Flexible. I have some OLD Miller/Lehigh/Bethlehem trucks built in that way and they work just Great.

Would you mind to explain or confirm a little more how the bearings are held in place. With just 3/8th plate, it looks like you might have a Backing plate Inside for the bearing and maybe a Nut and washer Outside ??

BTW. Do you have any photos of your Streetcar in operation at the special event.

Thank you.
chooch