Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

VK2DJ

Re: Victorian R-CLASS 4-6-4

Post by VK2DJ »

A little progress on the Hudson Build over Xmas working on the trailing truck brake gear, time consuming but slowly getting there
Attachments
TT BRAKE BITS.jpg
Brake hangers silver soldered to frame
Brake hangers silver soldered to frame
Temp assembly still have to make brake shoes
Temp assembly still have to make brake shoes
TT TEMP ASSY 3.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Great job from every angle, congratulations!

Asteamhead
R-Dream

Post by R-Dream »

Hi Gary,

As you can see I'm new to the forum as I have just come across your posting and having gone through it. I'm now salivating with anticipation.

I'm a recently retired mechanical engineer. I live in Victoria and for the past 30 years it has been my dream to build a 5" gauge R-Class. I have a reasonable workshop, but first step for me is to created the 3D models, which are now underway.

I have to say that your workmanship and level of detail is a credit to you and I hope I can reach the same standards. I will certainly be doing my best to do so. I feel buoyed by the fact that you are 'doing it', and blazing a path for others that love the "R" to follow.

I have managed to pick up several drawing to get underway - but there are still several gaps. I note form your earlier post that you have a good set of pdf drawings which you are prepared to share. I would be very grateful to receive a copy.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to your future posts and seeing your drawings.

Kind regards,
David
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

Just completed the brake cylinders for the R they do work but won't do much in stopping the loco just along for the ride
Attachments
TT BRAKE CYL.jpg
TT Brake cylinder.jpg
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day fellow builders update on the Hudson just completed the Trailing Truck been slow progress
as to many other things keep getting in the way will get back to the boiler as I have acquired 2 full
bottles of gas thanks to my sons business, my wife is going holidays to Italy for 3 weeks so hope to
catch up for lost time (no interruptions)the guys down at the track recon I should move my bed there
Attachments
TT-1.jpg
TT-2.jpg
TT-3.jpg
TT-4.jpg
Steve Aus

Post by Steve Aus »

As always Gary, looking magnificent.
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day All after finishing the trailing truck I decided to build a rotating stand before doing any further work on the main frames the stand was designed with compound slides each end so as component parts were added to the frames I would be able to adjust the centre of gravity, also once the wheels
were on I could lower it on to the mobile stand since completing the stand I have been working on the front pony truck
Attachments
rotating stand 3.jpg
rotating stand 4.jpg
rotating stand1.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

A lot of precision parts, looking really nice!
Regarding my class A still under construction, I'm happy there was no brake equipment in the trailer, believe me!
To compensate that the plumbing between smokebox and front cylinders is another story yet.

All the best by Asteamhead
Vr160

Post by Vr160 »

Looking great. Great idea making a rotating stand. Will make it so much easier to put it all together. Has there been much work on the boiler? What made you choose a copper over a steel boiler. I've seen both done. Did you get my PM. Keep up the great work you are doing. Luke
Vr160

Post by Vr160 »

Hi Just would like to check if you have had a chance to consider my offer for a copy of the R class plans after your reply to me the other day.
hudson

Post by hudson »

A nice video of the Steamrail 2014 Northern Weekender 7 - 9 June .
R761 and T395 brought the train from Melbourne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxEkOVbj8I

Happy viewing,
hudson
VK2DJ

Post by VK2DJ »

G'day All started work on the pony truck for the Hudson not a lot show for the amount of work carried out, made the horn cheeks from solid, after fabricating the frame stretchers I should have done the cheeks the same way
Attachments
Pony Truck 1.jpg
pony truck1 1.jpg
Frame Strechers Fitted.jpg