Combination squares

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Combination squares

Post by Mr Ron »

Are the square, center and protractor heads interchangeable between brands; SPI, Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
ken572

Re: Combination squares

Post by ken572 »

Mr Ron. :D

I think your best bet will be, getting all your

measuring instruments out on the workbench

and start to measure and document all your

Machinist Combination Squares that you have,

by BRAND and Component. When you are done

you can put your report in our Resource Library :idea: :D

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

I am constantly swapping rules with heads of different brands. Especially when I need a bunch of tools set up all for simultaneous use. As long as there isn't too much slop in the blade fit, it should work Also, make sure the tang on the blade lock fits without forcing or falling out of the slot. Some of the blade slots are shallower and narrower than others.

All of the tools mentioned use the same method of locking the blade. A screw device pulls the blade against the edge with a tang that engages in the slot of the blade.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

In some cases YES and in some NO . One of those "It depends" I have several of those in some cases only the square and a couple of the entire set. Offhand I can't remember which will "swap"
blades and which won't. I know the CHEEP ones that look like the blade was stamped won't fit the
B&S heads. :-)
...lew...
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

The reason why I ask, is I have a Starrett combination square , but no center or protractor heads, since I don't have much need for them; but when I do, I have to find other means of doing what these heads do. I don't want to spend big bucks for the heads from Starrett and wanted to know if I could substitute heads from other brands such as Fowler or SPI. I read somewhere that the rules were standard as to width, groove size, thickness. If that is the case, my assumption would be the heads are interchangeable.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Mr Ron wrote: I could substitute heads from other brands such as Fowler or SPI. I read somewhere that the rules were standard as to width, groove size, thickness. If that is the case, my assumption would be the heads are interchangeable.
Good Morning :!: Mr Ron, :D
That's why I suggested that you measure them and compare them, etc. :idea: :lol:

ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You can probably find Starrett heads on ebay. Complete units go for quite a bit, but you can luck out and get the heads for cheap.

Just be sure to compare what width and thickness ruler they are for vs what you have.

Steve
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Darn it. I forgot to bring the paper home, I measured about a Dozen at school today. There were
two of my own, a 60 year+ Craftsman and a "Union Tool" and about 10 of the Schools or maybe more.
Most of the good ones were Starrett and a few off brands (cheep junk). The surprising thing to me
was the variation in the width and thickness of the good Starrett ones. I haven't gotten around to
my B & S one and another in the garage. There was a range of (as I remember it) from 1.002 to
0.98? in widths and thickness from .08? to .098 (I'll try to remember the paper on Wed and post the
actual numbers)
So It looks like the variation is fairly great even within a single manufacturer. As long as the blade
will go in the head it should work. :-)
...lew...
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've got a hodge podge of rules up to 24" in B&S, Starrett, Stanley (old stuff from my Grandfather), and General. I've also got various heads in the same range, plus a (assumed) Chinese no name. As far as I know, all my stuff interchanges. Or if it doesn't, then it's a combination I've not tried. Beyond that, I can't say.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Machinist.doc
(19 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Second try: First an attach using a .txt file didn't work. Trying a .doc file;

...lew...

Kind of cumberson but I guess it does. I'll have to try and figgure a way to make a .txt into a .jpg
file. :-)
...lew...
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Machinist.doc

...lew...

Kind of cumberson but I guess it does. I'll have to try and figgure a way to make a .txt into a .jpg
...lew...
The txt file opened using MS word. It appears there is no standard for blade width or thickness. I'm surprised at the Starrett dimensions. The parts may be interchangeable, but no guarantee square will be square. Thanks Lew for your work.

I looked at my Starrett catalog and it was stated, (under individual parts) "all heads fit any blade having the corresponding size on all combination squares, combination sets and bevel protractors....", so based on your measurements and the catalog statement, they are interchangeable (at least Starrett). I could therefore assume the heads from others will fit a Starrett blade so long as the blade width fits.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Machinist.doc

...lew...

...lew...
Lew, I measured my two combination squares. The Starrett blade measured .995 wd x .092 thk and a Stanley blade measured .986 wd x .081 thk. There doesn't seem to be any standard. I use the Starrett for machine shop use and the Stanley for my woodworking tasks. Thanks again.