Way oil filter check/change?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

MaintenanceMan

Way oil filter check/change?

Post by MaintenanceMan »

I am currently working on a TPM (total productive maintenance) program with my current employer. I have started this program with an older bridgeport ez-trak sx milling machine. The question I have is in reguards to changing or checking the way oil system filter. I have an owners manual but it is very vague and simply says to check it and change when needed. If someone could possibly give me a simple step by step instruction on this process or give me a link to somewhere that explains this process that would be great. Hope someone has an answer.
Bruce_Mowbray

Re: Way oil filter check/change?

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

All of the older Bridgeport knee type CNC mills that I have seen, had automatic Bijur way oil pumps on them. The only filter was the cup shaped 2 piece removable screen at the base of the pump. I don't know how much you use the machine but I would inspect / change it once a year. Make sure the filler hole screen cup (if you have one) stays chip free too. If not, when you take the tank off to inspect/clean/replace the filter cups, clean the gum and chips from the bottom of the tank while you're in there.

Edited for proper grammar.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
MaintenanceMan

Re: Way oil filter check/change?

Post by MaintenanceMan »

I am now working on a series 1 manual mill with no electronics and a manual way oiler, do you imagine it would have the same type of filter?