Ore Tipple in 1 1/2" scale

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Eric M.

Ore Tipple in 1 1/2" scale

Post by Eric M. »

Hi folks,

Since I can never finish one project without starting another one, (examples here on Chaski: my 4 ton Plymouth and the Scheffield section hand car) I have an entirely new project to share that just, um, popped up. A few months back I suddenly became inspired to make a structure for my railroad. My railroad is mining themed so I thought a structure that represented that would be nice. One evening I sketched this simple scale drawing for an ore tipple that would fit between the track and my neighbors fence:

The structure would be big enough that I decided to do some Disney inspired scale compression to make the tipple appear larger from track level. The upper trestle where the ore cars come in is actually 1" scale and the lower exterior is 1 1/2" scale.

Before you know it I was cutting wood. Internal structure was made from pressure treated 2x4 clad in redwood fence boards for a substrate to attach all the scale lumber.

Internal structure complete.

The process of adding scale timbers then began as the next several photos illustrate.

The 1" scale trestle was built for the ore cars to load the tipple complete with a platform for a fire barrel.

Ore chutes and steel ore gates were fabricated.

Many details were added.

I got into making the details, including lanterns that actually flicker with a flame-like glow and this fire barrel. I still need to make the bucket and removable cover for the fire barrel.

Finally, after being stained with dilute black paint and doused in wood preservative, the ore tipple is pretty much complete. Here it sits on my patio waiting for installation by the railroad.

Thanks for looking!

Regards,
Last edited by Eric M. on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Maschwitz
Head of Operations, Squirrel Mountain Mine
Former Whistle Punk,
Gunn Lake Land and Lumber, a subsidiary of East Devils Hill Lumber Co
PRR5406

Re: Ore Tipple in 1 1/2" scale

Post by PRR5406 »

Is that beautiful red cedar???

Why not Brazilian rose wood? :-)
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Eric M.

Post by Eric M. »

:lol: Hahahaha. No it's not that exotic. Just regular redwood which is plentiful here in California. Most of the material is milled from redwood fence boards and a few redwood 2x4s for the bigger stuff. The dark color comes from my homemade black stain and the wood preservative. It should weather to a more silver gray over time. With how much work I put into it I wanted the structure to stick around for a while which is why I chose those materials.

Regards,
Eric Maschwitz
Former Whistle Punk,
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

That is a gorgeous structure! Great work!
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Super nice.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Very nice details!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Thats great! I love it when some trackside structure sucks you into a reason for being in the railroad world. Imagineering is the best way to make a suggestion, without breaking the bank on fantasy. The building is the justification for a coupla kicker details that leads the mind to UNDERSTAND and justify the need, that underwrites the whole railroad fantasy.

I consider such items as built to be as needed as paint and lettering ona freight car. Otherwise just a Critter and flatcar will get you around the track.

From my view, good job and marvelous idea.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Thanks for looking you say. Heck, My pleasure. I Like it--I like it!!
Solar1953

Post by Solar1953 »

I'm curious as to the ore car. What make is it, and where can I obtain one?
Eric M.

Post by Eric M. »

First of all, thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate them.

As for the ore car; I made it.

It is mostly aluminum. The wheels and axles are steel. The car was painted with a natural rust finish. I built two ore cars like this plus a small 2 axle wood flat and a steel crane car. They are all 1" scale 3 1/2" gauge. One of the ore cars is still unpainted. Here is the rest of the rolling stock:

The ore tipple gives me a convenient place to display these cars.

Thanks for looking!

Regards,
Eric Maschwitz
Former Whistle Punk,
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Great looking ore tipple. Plenty of detail to give it a look of realism. Just need to visit an old mine and gather some of the waste dump rocks to give it the look of a working ore facility. Most old mines have plenty of material that never made it to the mill. They usually only milled the high value ore in order to make the most profit for the share holders.

The oil drums really look the part. Where did you find them?

Robert
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Rwilliams wrote:The oil drums really look the part. Where did you find them?
Chuckle!

My money says he didn't find them, but made them. It's going to be interesting to read his comment(s) in that regard.
A very talented guy, this Eric M.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.