A champion is born.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

pkeiser

Re: A champion is born.

Post by pkeiser »

Mike Venezia engineer on Paulie's baby.Keep her on the track there big boy!
Attachments
IMG_7576.JPG
www.chaski.com
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

pkeiser wrote:Mike Venezia engineer on Paulie's baby.Keep her on the track there big boy!
ahhhh...excuse me Mr Paulie...can you say "slip Switch"...derailment?...LOL
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Mike driving 1690 up steep grade in Texas
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Paul Keiser on 1690 Northern and Stephen Balkum on 9100 Hudson double heading in Wimberley Texas
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Before she ran on rails she was born on the morning we put air to her for the first time. By the way, notice the "thing" behind my right shoulder? Who knows what that "thing" is?

Ok...It's a Tesla coil. Built that "Thing" in 1971. Still works too.
Attachments
IMG_3666.JPG
www.chaski.com
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

GS14403 wrote:What a great looking and sounding locomotive. In fact I can remember drooling over the pictures in the old LE catalogs of the Northerns and then seeing Chet Peterson's 825 in person sealed my choice for what kind of locomotive I wanted to build for myself.

The posted videos are neat and really show what those engines are capable of. I look forward to seeing more of them as they are posted. They are really inspirational.

I do have a question about the weight, you mentioned in an earlier post that it is calculated to be about 2300#, I would assume that is engine and tender. Have you actually weighed the locomotive. The reason I ask is I weighed my GS-1 at GGLS many years ago and it weighed in at just over 1300# with about 850# on the drivers. Since then more parts have been added but I doubt the locomotive has even reached 1400# yet. The boiler is 3/8" thick shell and the firebox is 5/16" thick, the frames are 7/8" thick and were flame cut, The smokebox is about 9/16" thick and there is a lot of 1" thick plate in the cylinders and as spreaders so the engine is pretty solid. There is not a lot of room to add much more weight even if I wanted to. Anyway, just curious and hopefully a lot more of these engines will be built in the future, and thanks for all your efforts in bringing this back to life.

Donald
Speaking of Chet,

Here's a video on YouTube on how he got started in Live Steam with his infamous LE 4-8-4 Union Pacific 825. Keep on Steamin' my Friends!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIxbtmTP1Es

The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Over the weekend I started to assemble the next Northern frame. This is the sister to the 1690 Northern.
Attachments
DSC00609.JPG
DSC00617.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Setting the lifting arms on to the tumbling shaft. This is critical before you bore a #3 taper pin reamer to finalize the position. If one side is off, the block in the link will be off position from the other side and the choo choo will walk with a limp. Well sorta !
Attachments
DSC00619.JPG
DSC00620.JPG
DSC00621.JPG
DSC00622.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Today we painted the Northern frame. This is Gerardo. One of my supervisors here in my little army at Keal Case. I make it , he paints it .Great man to have.
Attachments
DSC00623.JPG
DSC00626.JPG
www.chaski.com
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Lookin' really good! Keep that man busy. :)

Todd
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Turning the smoke box door ring. Lathe is a 19" swing and the smoke box door is 12 1/2" OD. Cast iron I believe. Keep your little fingers away Paulie my father would say .
Attachments
DSC00627.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

All painted , drive wheels installed, rods attached. Next install valve gear and make her work!
Attachments
DSC00629.JPG
DSC00631.JPG
www.chaski.com