A lesson from Jack

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

A lesson from Jack

Post by Greg_Lewis »

A tip o' the hat to Jack Bodenmann for the idea and the inspiration for these hinges I made up for the wood toolboxes on the tender of old # 26 1/2. Dollhouse ones are too small and too fancy, and the handsome ones Brad has (http://www.modelrailcastings.com/item.php?id=43) aren't the size I need either.

So out came the silver solder, some brass tube and sheet, the jeweler's saw and needle files. First I silver soldered the tube to the edge of the sheet (Photo 1). Then I printed out copies of a drawing from the McMaster site to the size I needed and glued them onto the brass (Photo 2). (The brass sheet was recycled material and the etching you see will be on the back and not show.)

Then I roughed out the hinge openings (Photo 3). Holes for the dress maker's pins I'll use to attach them were drilled at this point. I long ago learned to do as much work as possible on small parts before cutting them off from their parent stock. The holes were drilled with a #65 drill, using the handy sensitive chuck thingy in photo 4.

The finished hinges are in Photo 5. They are 1 1/2" long. Photo 6 (next post; 5 pix limit per post) is one of three of a slightly different style; you can see the dressmaker's pins with their heads flattened and squared off. The strap is 1 1/8" long; the thumb is full size.

As Jack says, too much fun.
Attachments
Photo 1.JPG
Photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
Photo 4.JPG
Photo 5.JPG
Last edited by Greg_Lewis on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Greg_Lewis

Re: A lesson from Jack

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Post #2: Photo 6
Attachments
Photo 6.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Greg, those hinges look great. I just happen to need a set for the tool boxes on my tender and more for the doors on the front of the tender. Now I have no excuse for not to getting them made.

Thanks for the great photo's and for sharing.

Donald
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

That's pretty nifty. Thanks for sharing that.

Todd
chooch

Post by chooch »

Greg Lewis,
Were the Tiny hinges harder to make than the Elephant you`re riding. :-)
Hinges look really nice though. Lot of work many times with the Little things, details, but the end results make it all worth it.
Nice photos and hinge make description. Thanks.
Squared off pin heads were a great idea. I`m a pop rivet guy but sometimes square off the heads also to look a little more like an old bolt head. A drop of glue or silicon fills the hole.
chooch
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

chooch wrote:Greg Lewis,
Were the Tiny hinges harder to make than the Elephant you`re riding. :-)
Hinges look really nice though. Lot of work many times with the Little things, details, but the end results make it all worth it.
Nice photos and hinge make description. Thanks.
Squared off pin heads were a great idea. I`m a pop rivet guy but sometimes square off the heads also to look a little more like an old bolt head. A drop of glue or silicon fills the hole.
chooch
Thanks for the comments. As to being a superhero, you'll need to ask my grandchildren. Soft brass and sharp jeweler's files made the hinges easy; much better than hogging parts out of 1/2 plate with dull end mills! (Of which I have many....)

As to detail, to me it's like having a full orchestra play the concerto. You may not notice the third-chair oboe, but if it's not there, you will sense that something is missing.

There are lots of square head nuts and lag screws on the tender as that's what the big boys used in 1907. Even the small pattern, or "radio" nuts that you can get from McMaster don't look right; I only use those where they are hidden in shadow. When I get a round tuit, I'll post some snappies of the tender.
Last edited by Greg_Lewis on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Here they are installed. Two engines on the V&T had these odd toolboxes on the water legs of the tenders, #26 and #27. Below is a photo of one on #27 in Carson City; the ones on #26 were turned 90 degrees to that.
Attachments
photo.JPG
DSCN1570.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Next time why not try a piano hinge. This a picture of the K4 turret cover. It opens like a model "A" hood.
Attachments
Picture 418.jpg
Picture 412.jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Trainman4602 wrote:Next time why not try a piano hinge. This a picture of the K4 turret cover. It opens like a model "A" hood.
The hinge pin tube of the strap hinges I made is 1/16-inch tube. I haven't found a piano hinge that small. I tried cutting up some small commercial jewelery box hinges but they didn't look right.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
sabin

Post by sabin »

Greg, your hinges are beautiful. I never thought about using photo copies of the real thing, great idea.
If you ever have a need for piano hinges in miniature, these are nice. http://www.nelsonhobby.com/miniature_piano_hinges.php

Jim
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

sabin wrote:Greg, your hinges are beautiful. I never thought about using photo copies of the real thing, great idea.
If you ever have a need for piano hinges in miniature, these are nice. http://www.nelsonhobby.com/miniature_piano_hinges.php

Jim
Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that. One of the reasons I didn't pursue piano hinges is that the prototype used strap hinges.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Well I'm happy to hear that I have been a "Good?" influence. Greg your hinges are the cat's meow, I suspect you entire locomotive is. I must also compliment David on his K4s steam turret casing. His entire locomotive is also really the most! Seeing fine model work like this is always a pleasure. I think that's why we all enjoy this site so much. Seeing other builders work is always motivational. Keep it up my friends.
Jack