Destroying ammunitions

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

steamin10

Destroying ammunitions

Post by steamin10 »

In checking my hoard, I have found a box full of 22 lr, about 800 rounds that were submerged. I tapped into the store, and they are duds. Only about one in 20 fired after 2 tries. So now I have a delema on how to dispose of potentially dangerous material.

The best answer I can come up with other than using a paper cutter to guillotine the cases off the bullets, is to load them into a steel pipe of 6 inch diameter and build a fire under it, and cook them off. A gong lid loosely hung would prevent any fliers.

The idea here is to deactivate unusable ammo, and recover the bit of lead and brass, out of the environment.

Anybody got a better idea? I am totally open to safe mad science ideas.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Dave_C

Re: Destroying ammunitions

Post by Dave_C »

Big Dave,

Most of the shooters that I know pull the bullets out of the case with a bullet puller and then burn the junk powder. Of course we have dies and shell holders for just such a purpose. You might have to make a holder for the rim fire case but the 22 caliber bullet puller is readily available.

Given that you are dealing with rim fire cases the case holder might need to clamp just above the rim so it does not accidentally detonate one of the rounds.

Then cook the cases if you want and the primer will burn, some will pop so keep them contained like you suggested above.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I like the burning idea. It would take a very long time to pull 800 nearly worthless bullets.

My third cousin got in trouble for doing something similar. He went to a one-room school that had a potbelly stove. At the end of every day, the students threw their trash in it. He decided to include some shotgun shells.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Reminds me of a Willys pickup engine mod I helped a friend do.
Pulled out the F-head, and we were shoe-horning in a Buick V-6.

Not a bad fit really, but had a few interference problems with the back of the engine and the firewall. We marked the firewall up, pulled the engine back out, and proceeded to do a bit of cutting with a torch.

Note to self:
Glove box in 1949 Willys....is made out of cardboard.
It will burn.
Not good when it burns, and there's a wad of papers, and a full box of 38 specials in the glove box.

Surprising how little damage 38 specials do when they are not contained in a chamber and barrel. Bullets don't move much, but the cases sure bounce around.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I use 2 pliers to pull the bullets grip the body with one and pull the bullet out with the other. You aren't trying to save the bullets or bullets. I then toss the brass into a camp fire and touch the gun powder off with a burning stick as an object lesson, that smokeless powder isn't an explosive if not contained. The bullet gets tossed into a pile.for melting and later casting.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

your idea of cooking them off is in keeping with uncle sams approach .
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I made a bullet hammer out of stainless many yarn ago, .30 caliber, drop in the shell, and tap the hammer like thing, and the bullet falls out of the case by multiplied gravity of the slam. I dont think 800 would be enjoyable in this method, given any hit to the base may set off a good primer.

I am afraid of the rimfires being unstable, since one actually fired, some primers may be good, so any monkey brains ripping on the rims can get a small surprise, and get interesting.

I feel a weed torch on the pipe, or a small charcoal fire to pop the corn so too speak is the safest. A plate and small chains to let it flop on top, (tack welds)(no pressure build), would be safe enough at 20 foot distance or so. Pull it out, when the pops stop. (cool in place).

Unless anybody has better, this is my method of choice. (Mythbusters here I come).
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
powderhorn01

Post by powderhorn01 »

I would go and find an old Dutch Oven, Put about 100 in at a time and set on a fire to heat up and cook them off. After they quit poping off, take off fire and let cool, Then repeat for the next batch. Make sure you only put them in only one layer deep.
E. Bartlett HTC(SW) USN Ret.
Member Firearms Engravers Guild of America (FEGA)
Nevada Southern Railway (Nevada State Railroad Museum)
Bridgeport Round Ram Mill
11" South Bend/10" Champion Blower & Forge Lathe (Franken Lathe)
12" Sebastian Lathe
everett.bartlett@yahoo.com
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

HMmmm. Good thought on limited quantity, and even heat with less. I would expect the cases popping around would move things a bit. I like the idea, anyway.
ronm

Post by ronm »

SteveHGraham wrote:I like the burning idea. It would take a very long time to pull 800 nearly worthless bullets.

My third cousin got in trouble for doing something similar. He went to a one-room school that had a potbelly stove. At the end of every day, the students threw their trash in it. He decided to include some shotgun shells.
My cousin did that with flashlight batteries, in the home fireplace...while his Mom & Dad had company sitting around the room. :shock:
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

Y know .... just about the time I think MY family's nuts ....
But then I had a relative who used to "set off" shotgun shells by taping them to the end of his BB gun ...
Yeah he's still alive today and just retired from DARPA .....!
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Hi Big Dave,

I would like to suggest two other ideas, neither of which is very exciting, but much safer for you. I had a similar situation a few years ago where a co-worker found some old ammo on the beach! They gave it to me and I disposed of it by giving it to a local (old timey) gun shop that caters to reloaders.

The other option would be giving it to local law enforcement officers. Likely more red tape there, which is why I opted for the gun shop. I just walked in, explained the situation to the owner, he took the ammo and said "thanks!"

Take good care,

Bill C.