Regauging Plymouth locomotives

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

ironhorseriley

Regauging Plymouth locomotives

Post by ironhorseriley »

Hello everyone,

I do not have access to a full sized railroad group but this question could have “prototype modeling implications” with nice examples of riding scale versions showing up on this site. I just wondered if the distance between the frames of “inside frame” standard gauge Plymouth locomotives would be practical to convert to 3’ narrow gauge or even 2’? Being there appear to be several standard gauge examples around, it seems possible some conversions may have taken place anyway? I have been able to photograph a few standard gauge versions in the flesh, but have not had any ready access to narrow gauge machines.

Thanks,

Jim
Attachments
This small standard gauge Plymouth is for sale on Ebay! I did not take the picture.
This small standard gauge Plymouth is for sale on Ebay! I did not take the picture.
Last edited by ironhorseriley on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
Dick_Morris

Re: Regauging Plymouth locomotives

Post by Dick_Morris »

I can't answer your question other than to say that within the last week or so I ran into a post on a web site saying the basic Porter locomotives were the same with different axles and frame spreaders.

Regardless, that critter sure is cute!
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Dick, I could not agree more on the cute part! It is interesting that many of the inside frame units sported hinged cover plates such as that little Army unit for safety reasons in industrial settings.
I photographed Plymouth below in 2012 on the Belton Grandview & Kansas City Railroad.
Attachments
10420039_789729607742301_9107145618992058120_n.jpg
11053055_789729241075671_1369964594360379887_n.jpg
Eric M.

Post by Eric M. »

On many of the small Plymouth locomotives the narrow gauge and standard gauge chassis and frames were essentially the same. The wheels were simply placed outside the frame for standard gauge, and the wheels were inside the frame for the narrow gauge versions. I have been able to climb around the 3' narrow gauge 8 ton Mission Cement Plymouth located at Ardenwood Park in Fremont CA. I can say there is very little mechanism between the wheels so creating creating any of the narrow gauge versions on the same platform would be fairly straight forward during the manufacturing process and thus a conversion is theoretically possible. If I remember correctly there is simply large sprockets and chain drive on the axles and little else.

Personally I have a serious narrow gauge bias and I prefer the look of the outside frame lokies.

Regards,
Eric Maschwitz
Head of Operations, Squirrel Mountain Mine
Former Whistle Punk,
Gunn Lake Land and Lumber, a subsidiary of East Devils Hill Lumber Co
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Eric,

I am with you on the narrow gauge bias. From a practical standpoint, I think the outside frame looks better & might be easier to build. The inside frame version looks like a detail "night mare"!

There is a 3' Plymouth for sale on Discover Live Steam. She looks a little rough, but would be a great project for someone with the space to do it.

http://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverfo ... m#plymouth

Jim
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

A couple of decades ago I visited Keeler, CA. Saw the old C&C/SP Narrow Gage depot and the talk factory close by. In poking around we found a yellow Plymouth sans radiator and grill. It is 3' gage and serviced the talk plant and the yard. It was on Private property and all was posted but we didn't touch anything just took photos. Along with the engine were two side dump ore cars. Both looked to be home made with lots of bar stock. I have no idea if that engine is still there as I haven't been back to Keeler since. My primary interest is in the V&TRR not the C&C.
Cary
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Cary,

I found a link that may be the Plymouth you mentioned at the talc plant.

http://carsoncolorado.com/wordpress/his ... te/keeler/
The "critter" is the bottom photo.