20" Faircut Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Faircut

20" Faircut Lathe

Post by Faircut »

Hi all,

I've not long become the owner of a 20" Faircut lathe. For its' age, it's in very good condition and complete, with the exception of the headstock gear guards.

Therefore I write to ask if there's a fellow Faircut owner out there who'd either has a spare ste of guards they'd be willing to sell me, or who'd be willing to remove their guards, and perhaps take them to Asda (yes I do mean Asda :wink:) and get them scanned so that I can make a new set. I would of course be happy to pay any incurred costs.

Any help or indeed suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

David.
Attachments
My lovely 20" Faircut !
My lovely 20" Faircut !
P1010271.JPG
stevec

Re: 20" Faircut Lathe

Post by stevec »

David, I know NOTHING of the Faircut lathe but I would suggest that you modify your profile to indicate where in the world you are located. A specific mailing address is not recommended but country, state/province and city would help responders greatly.
Good luck. :wink:
Faircut

Post by Faircut »

Steve,

Many thanks for your reply - this is really annoying - but done.
GRRR ! ;-)
spro

Post by spro »

That's a neat lathe. I recommend the viewer to open and blow up the photos. It has a gap bed and great span of the slides. Multiple T-slots in the cross slide for different ways of different things. While it's unlikely that I would happen upon those covers, another person may....
But that is difficult unless they actually Say FAIRCUT SHEFFIELD or something.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

You might have to figure out how to fabricate your own or adapt some from similar Atlas, South Bend, Myford, etc. There are some pictures of some of the guarding. http://www.lathes.co.uk/faircut/index.html

Pete
spro

Post by spro »

I went to link via Pete and the information. This lathe is the heaviest one they made and it becomes more clear how dear it is to own it.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
spro wrote:I went to link via Pete and the information. This lathe is the heaviest one they made and it becomes more clear how dear it is to own it.
And, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, it looks
like the lathe above is featured in the last two pictures.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Faircut

Post by Faircut »

Hi again all and many thanks for all the lovely things you say about my lathe.

You're right, pictures of it are on the Faircut page at lathes.co.uk - I sent them to Tony just after I bought it. Since those were taken, I have sent him some more, but they have yet to be uploaded.

From the photographs I've seen, it would seem that I'm very lucky to have got my hands on this one, as it's both essentially complete, and in such good original condition. In fact the only significant wear seems to be in the main lead screw.

I think the scanning option is probably preferred, as the guards are cast and are therefore quite thick, and reproducing this would pose the greatest difficulty. If I can get a 3D scan of them, I can then make some accurate CAD drawings - possibly for 3D printing.

Best Regards,

DS.
Will's 2882

Post by Will's 2882 »

From what I can see there are no holes on the lathe where any mounting would have been for any type of cover over the gears. You may want to talk to your local sheet metal shop and have them form some thing up from 10 gauge. That would not be a hard job for them to knock out for you.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Not knowing for sure but I would think scanning and printing guards would be rather costly. I would think that by using thin sheet metal, plastic or cardboard and pop rivets, hot glue or tape to make and refine the general shapes of the guard. Then use those templates to make a welded metal or fibreglass version would be easier to accomplish at home. Now if you have buddies with the equipment that can help you out with the high tech that's another story.

Pete
Faircut

Post by Faircut »

Will's 2882 wrote:From what I can see there are no holes on the lathe where any mounting would have been for any type of cover over the gears. You may want to talk to your local sheet metal shop and have them form some thing up from 10 gauge. That would not be a hard job for them to knock out for you.
Hi Will's,

If you enlarge the view on the headstock, you can see two drillings in the inner end of the headstock casting between the brass oiler and backgear layshaft . There is another pair (of which only one is visible) at the outer end.

Cheers,

David.