OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by warmstrong1955 »

You might think about a mini-excavator. Lot of folks in Alaska used them for what you are planning on doing.
Most all of 'em have a dozer blade for road work, you can dig for a stemwall with it, and they are handy for a small crane as well, for unloading things.

Just a thought.

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

I am kinda shopping around for a used Bobcat track loader with Bobtach. However, I don't want to pawn off one of my adult children for it as I may not be able to redeem him or her, as the case may be.

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

seal killer wrote:Bill--

I am kinda shopping around for a used Bobcat track loader with Bobtach. However, I don't want to pawn off one of my adult children for it as I may not be able to redeem him or her, as the case may be.

--Bill
Probably a better choice Bill. We used to sell Bobcats where I worked in Alaska as well. Lot of options....forks, backhoes, on & on....they even make a grader attachment.

I know a few guys down here that bought Bobcats from United Rental. Good shape, low hours, and very well maintained. They don't like to keep old stuff in their rental fleet, at least around these parts. Might be a good place to look.

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

A few additional considerations:

1) Security for your tools etc. when you're not there. Maybe a stout cargo container with a deer camera hidden in a tree?

2) A mile of road can be an expensive annual undertaking. I'd be inclined to work out some sort of fair maintenance agreement with other owners on the way in. You may be bearing most of the costs now; but you don't want to still be in that position after others start using the road. If you're lucky they'll help a bit with the costs now, since it will add to the value of their property. In any case, disagreements over roads are common -- and avoided by getting things straight from the beginning.

3) Might make testing the water an early priority. A pristine trout stream may not always stay that way -- and even with ground water nearby a well can sometimes surprise. Also need to consider the soils and septic location.

4) For a lot of folks, getting good Internet access can be as much of a hassle as roads, power, water, and sewer. Don't know your need for it, but it's worth considering. I bought my present home back in the dial up age. Even in a populated area, cell service was lousy and it cost thousands to bring high speed access in.

5) With that much land, and being close to a destination, might lay out your land in a way that maximizes the future value. Some day you might actually get older, need closer medical care, or just want to cash out.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

PeteM wrote:1) Security for your tools etc. when you're not there. Maybe a stout cargo container with a deer camera hidden in a tree?
Get one of those job boxes and when you are going to be gone for a while, lock stuff inside.

Steve
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

But you better have something to chain it to !!

Jerry
www.chaski.com
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Seacans are great for that I recomend putting a lock box on it though. I've welded them on, like the first picture. While looking for an example on the Web I found the second picture. Looks like a prefabricated unit that you bolt on.
Attachments
$(KGrHqYOKnME1Up75JdtBNetZKQ(bQ~~_35.jpeg
$(KGrHqYOKnME1Up75JdtBNetZKQ(bQ~~_35.jpeg (5.74 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
LOCK-COVER-2.jpeg
LOCK-COVER-2.jpeg (12.73 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You could bury the sea container and then have a small shed on top for access. Unless someone knew to pick up the floor boards, they would never find the entrance. Doubles as a fallout shelter :-)

We had someone here do that, probably because they wouldn't let him have the container on the property.

Steve
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

When you speak of sleeping space, we have used older travel campers for disposable housing. I have an 18 footer now (twin axle) that was going to a deal that fell through. Larger dealers have salvage jobs traded in, some are nearly free on Craigs list. In the end,no matter, it is a capsule house to eat, sleep, and cook in. A bad weather rain shelter, and place to store all the personals, while doing things. A bank of batteries for low voltage lights, and a spare high capacity battery in your truck, makes night lights simple.

IMHO, it is the answer to focusing on 'the house' and not spending all the effort on prepping to do the house.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I am taking them all to heart.

Pete said . . .
PeteM wrote:1) Security for your tools etc. when you're not there. Maybe a stout cargo container with a deer camera hidden in a tree?

2) A mile of road can be an expensive annual undertaking. I'd be inclined to work out some sort of fair maintenance agreement with other owners on the way in. You may be bearing most of the costs now; but you don't want to still be in that position after others start using the road. If you're lucky they'll help a bit with the costs now, since it will add to the value of their property. In any case, disagreements over roads are common -- and avoided by getting things straight from the beginning.

3) Might make testing the water an early priority. A pristine trout stream may not always stay that way -- and even with ground water nearby a well can sometimes surprise. Also need to consider the soils and septic location.

4) For a lot of folks, getting good Internet access can be as much of a hassle as roads, power, water, and sewer. Don't know your need for it, but it's worth considering. I bought my present home back in the dial up age. Even in a populated area, cell service was lousy and it cost thousands to bring high speed access in.

5) With that much land, and being close to a destination, might lay out your land in a way that maximizes the future value. Some day you might actually get older, need closer medical care, or just want to cash out.
#1 Exactly my thinking.
#2 I am the only owner and I'm at the end of the line. I'm hoping that by the time I am ready to improve the road, someone else will have purchased one of the other 80 acre parcels.
#4 Do you think Internet access will be slower than our 1GB Google fiber here in KC? :)
#5 I'm going to build a place suitable to rent out when we are somewhere else. (Although we have no plans to actually BE somewhere else for any period of time.) The area is big in fishing and hunting, but very short in quality, affordable rental houses.

Steve and Jerry, if I get a container or box, I will have plenty of things to chain it to. Some of them can be cut down, some of them would take a lot of blasting to have any affect.

SteveM said . . .
You could bury the sea container and then have a small shed on top for access. Unless someone knew to pick up the floor boards, they would never find the entrance. Doubles as a fallout shelter.
Ha! I've seen people dig holes for basements and park trailers over them!

steamin10 said . . .
When you speak of sleeping space . . .
A pole barn is going to be the second or third order of business.

--Bill
You are what you write.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Sure, but keep in mind a house building is a looong process. Ask Harold, as he is finishing his home that was concast foam. I dunno, but having a small, secure, minihouse, with air and cooking, will be a good support feature, in the early stages. It depends on how far you want to be roughing it.

Around here, a skidder is too high priced for the use, and a TLB is the way to go. The hoe can do many things a skidder cant with its smaller attachments. When you add that much road, and tree clearing, (stumping) my choice is clear.

As for the Pole building, lotsa luck getting the poles in. Your site may be thin soiled with rock just below the surface.

And there is the option of building it WIDE, but not very deep. It can then be easily expanded by adding another coupla frames, to the back, without messing with the front door(s). I did one this way, so that the owner could pay cash for all the materials, and not get soaked for interest. Many ways to go, and keep coin in your pocket.

Just my opinion.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

steamin10 wrote:And there is the option of building it WIDE, but not very deep. It can then be easily expanded by adding another coupla frames, to the back, without messing with the front door(s).
I had planned on doing this when in a position to build a shop.

Another option would be to build tall and put a lean to on one or both sides. They could be enclosed or open to the elements.