MDM

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rwheller

MDM

Post by rwheller »

I have a feeling MDM is no more. Nobody answers emails and the phone goes to voice mail but the box is full. It is impossible to contact them unless someone tries snail mail. I know the father passed away but I thought the son was also in the business but apparently he does not want to carry on the business. MDM had some nice products and I hope someone picks up the product line. We need more vendors in this hobby to improve the diversity of the available products and accessories. RH
Atkinson_Railroad

Re: MDM

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Just "Googled" MDM to refresh my memory of the product line.
In visiting "Jim's" website... one is quickly reminded of the incredible amount of work that goes into [building up] such an endeavor.

John
rwheller

Post by rwheller »

It is a shame to see all that work go to waste. I hope the son is able to let someone else pick up the product line. As we all "progress chronologically" I hope others make contingency plans so their efforts are not wasted.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Jim Murray was a skilled builder of Electric powered locomotives. He got some of his original stuff from Cannonball/Koster's, and developed the line further from there. His locomotives ran good, looked good, and sounded good.

I would say that none of it is available until you hear something different.

Happens all the time in this hobby... There are at least 2 or 3 other former suppliers that did not survive the death of the main person operating the business. The lesson being: Get what you want/need while it is still available. There will likely be a time in the future when it no longer will be.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

rwheller...if you're looking to get something like an F unit, electric powered, exquisite detail...you might try to contact Dave Newell. Email address: fly5150"at"hotmail"dot"com. Not sure he has a website up and running or not. Find attached a photo of his craftsmanship during a recent visit to the White Creek RR back in May. Carl B.
Attachments
xIMG_6219.JPG
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
chooch

Post by chooch »

ccvstmr,
The website for the "F" unit and name you mentioned can be found here. pikerivernorthern.com
A great looking locomotive.

I will also mention David Gerhke at https://www.facebook.com/WBRCS or Westbendrailcarshop.com .
He builds many Different type Electric locos custom to what you want. Also a pretty good looking line of cars --I think 1.6 scale. My friend has Three of Daves GP locos (RC&MU) and a few cars.

chooch
rwheller

Post by rwheller »

It appears that MDM is no more. Even the web page has now gone "Dark". In the past I had owned two of their locomotives and they served me well. Sorry to see the company go. RH
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Jim Murray passed away suddenly over two years ago. I had spoken with about a week before his demise, so it came as a real shock.