cross hair wire

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

dsergison

cross hair wire

Post by dsergison »

I am repairing a David White transit. The cross hairs are gone, I need a fine wire to lacquer in place. the mount is still there, and it has grooves where the wires used to sit so locating them shouldn't be trouble.

Where might I get some really fine wire? .001" or so? I have no idea what is appropriate thickness as the origionals are completely gone. I would imagine it would have to be on the very thinnest of scope hairs?

and should I black them somehow? I could try to dye the wire for better contrast, or would that be unnecessary.

if anyone has some and would like to sell a small length I would be very interested.

Thanks, Dan
curley

Re: cross hair wire

Post by curley »

Some 50 years ago, a guy appropriately named Scopes lived here, and repaired them. He kept several small spiders as donors for cross hairs. Dont know how he did it, only that he did.
Regards, Curley
dsergison

Post by dsergison »

I mostly have big hairy wolf spiders [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]

~but seriously, thanks. I've heard that too. I'll try it out.

Merry Christmas

Dan
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

You could also try teasing apart some silk fabric for the individual fiber. I'm assuming you have an open frame for the crosshairs rather than a glass sheet and holder for an engraved recticule.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Contact an optics manufacturer and see if they won't sell you a bit of the proper material.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
GeorgeGaskill

How about some black human hair ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

if the spider web doesn't work out?
EDfromCA

Post by EDfromCA »

Hi guy
I have some .005 wire here, but, I think it will be too big, except for low power scopes, as I have used it for 22 cal rifle scopes. I will give you a few feet of it if you give me your address. Where are you located? I am in the San Jose area of Calif.I do know of a friend who did repair work on transet scopes in the Sacramento area, and he told me they used black widow spider web, and how to get the web from the spider that a old fellow had at his bench in a jar that he got his repair hairs from. This was quite a intresting subject for me to hear, as I wanted to do some rifle scope repair work, as well as some custom gunsmithing that I did do a while back. He told me that the black widow had the strongest web of all the spiders, as per the old man that taught him how to do it.
Well guy, I hope this helps you out, let me know if you want some of that small wire.

ED e-mail squato@aol.com
dsergison

Post by dsergison »

thank you for the offer I am going to try the web idea first. or get some awg 54 wire .0004
ED fromCA

Post by ED fromCA »

Sorry Guy
I ment to say that I had some .0005 dia wire, lost a zero on that dem.

ED
1yesca

Post by 1yesca »

you may try some EDM wire the smallist being .0005 and if you want to use a spider 1st. thing is to get a big fork and cut the inner forks out leveing only the outter two and then you get the spider to drop and as he is falling you wack the web now you have a bit that will stick to your item i would go with the EDM wire
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Check this out Spider web

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
gunnersmate

Post by gunnersmate »

Just repaired a Lyman Target Spot cross hair, material is available and cheap on E-Bay. I'll have to see if I still have the address, BT.