Can you Silver braze 12L14?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

tornitore45

Can you Silver braze 12L14?

Post by tornitore45 »

Thanks
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Harold_V

Re: Can you Silver braze 12L14?

Post by Harold_V »

I expect you can, as lead and silver will alloy.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I asked because it seems that the rules for welding are quite different from the rules for brazing.

If I recall correctly, Hi carbon steel and leaded steel are not weldable.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Quite true, although high carbon can be welded with the proper procedures. Part of the problem is the resulting hardness after the weld. Same with 4140, but following proper procedures yields excellent results.

One can easily silver solder 303 S stainless, yet it is not recommended for welding, due to the sulfur content. Big difference between melting an alloy and wetting the surface with brazing alloys, or so it seems.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

The problem with high sulfur and leaded steels is that the sulfur/lead will vaporize at welding temperatures and create porosity at best. The material will likely by connected and the joint may serve for cosmetic applications but it is not a high strength weld.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Thanks for the information! I was making a part that required a lot of machining, so I chose to use 12L14 steel; yesterday I assembled the parts and silver soldered them, it turned out fine. I was going to soft solder them, but remembered seeing this discussion and thought I'd give it a go. Confirmed, 12L14 steel can be silver soldered.