Engine lift on sale....

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Engine lift on sale....

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Heads up: Harbor Freight has their 1000 lb. motorcycle lift on sale right now for $300. I've got one and several of you also do. They work great as engine hoists or adjustable height work stands. It also helps me get my stuff in and out of the trailer. I don't think you could buy the materials to make one for that price. The coupon number is 56646003. Check your Sunday paper for their ad or get on their mailing list.

The on-line catalog shows it at $429. Don't pay that. Here is a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-ca ... -8495.html
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
SZuiderveen

Re: Engine lift on sale....

Post by SZuiderveen »

Someone somewhere had an article on modifying this to better suit our purposes. Anyone remember where?

Steve

OK. Found it on Nelson's site.

http://www.nelsonslocomotive.com/Small% ... porter.htm
Last edited by SZuiderveen on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

SZuiderveen wrote:Someone somewhere had an article on modifying this to better suit our purposes. Anyone remember where?

Steve
Don't know about that but I just put some square tube on mine to 7 1/2 inch spacing. No biggie.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I had one of those briefly, bought per-modified from someone else and sold it on as at the time I didn't need anything that big. It is a good item, the only downside being that when it raises and lowers, it does not go straight up and down, so lining it up for transferring is a bit more tricky. It also does not reach the height of a full size pickup + track height in the bed, so you have to raise the track up higher if you want to do that. And the wheels are tiny. But that is fixable too.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Greg_Lewis wrote:Heads up: Harbor Freight has their 1000 lb. motorcycle lift on sale right now for $300. I've got one and several of you also do. They work great as engine hoists or adjustable height work stands. It also helps me get my stuff in and out of the trailer. I don't think you could buy the materials to make one for that price. The coupon number is 56646003. Check your Sunday paper for their ad or get on their mailing list.

The on-line catalog shows it at $429. Don't pay that. Here is a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-ca ... -8495.html
Your link says 429 bucks.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Here is my HF lift. The top has been removed and replaced with a 1x2 Tube "Track". New extended caster brackets have been welded outside the frame for more stability and new heavy casters replaced the crappy HF ones. BTW the new casters raise the whole lift up a few inches.

Works great.

John B.
Attachments
HF Lift.JPG
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

One more vote for the lift. I got mine for $299 + tax, and it's a life saver. One of those things from Harbor Freight that just about everyone agrees is "good" and worth the expenditure of bucks.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
chooch

Post by chooch »

Read-- The coupon number is 56646003. Check your Sunday paper for their ad or get on their mailing list.

The on-line catalog shows it at $429. " Don't pay" that. Here is a link:
chooch

ps. might be a good buy for you guys in Pauls group.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Fred: I think you mis-read my post. The on-line catalog shows it at $429 but there is a $299 coupon out there if you can find one. Check last week's Sunday paper or current mailer.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

I have the 'shorter' HF version with and outrigger and extra wheels. IIRC it has a 2000lb capacity.
IMG_4331.JPG
The track in this picture is wood.
P1101275.JPG
This picture shows the stand upside down with the modifications I made to get the lift control out to the side (the track interfered with the foot handle). The track is now Unistrut.

There was an article in Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading a few years ago detailing a slight different modification.

http://www.karlkobel.com
Karl
JimJam

Post by JimJam »

I bought one of those motorcycle lifts last night. $300 in tax free New Hampshire ! The guys at the store were very nervous about the crate (wooden) fitting into the back of my Honda Pilot. Almost to the point they didn't want to sell it to me. But after some measuring and pushing the passenger seat all the way forward, it fit with an inch to spare. The bigger problem was getting it out of the truck at home.

Good wife Beth came down to the barn to see what I bought and said, "Good luck with that !" and went back up to the house. Did I mention it weighs 350 pounds ? With the hatchback open and a chain wrapped around one end of the crate and the other to the Kubota tractor in four wheel drive, I slowly inched it out and lowered one end to the ground. Releasing the chain from that end and reattaching it about 2/3 the way up the crate. I carefully lifted the crate still in the truck with the Kubota, it was suspended in the air with the other end on the ground. I started the truck and pulled away. Tada ! The crate was lowered to the ground just as if I knew what I was doing. From there I pushed it into the barn with the tractor.

Next, open the crate and assemble. Maybe this weekend.

Thanks for the web link Greg !

- Jimi -
Harvard, MA
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

moondbeam wrote: Thanks for the web link Greg !
You bet. And the best part is all that top-quality crate wood you'll have left over! It would make a nice clock, or end table. Or not.
Greg Lewis, Prop.