Allen Models Sold

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Allen Models Sold

Post by Marty_Knox »

Karen and I have sold Allen Models to Steve Alley of Gardnerville, Nevada. It will become Allen Models of Nevada, at PO Box 848 Gardnerville NV 89410, phone 775-782-3800.
This started with Steve and I talking at Train Mountain. We discussed the challenges of being a supplier; Steve had some good ideas . I am confident he will continue the tradition of fine service that started with Gene Allen.
The drawings, castings, and patterns are now on the way to their new home. I will continue to be involved by providing technical support and helping develop new products. Boilers will still be available from Ridge Locomotive Works.
Give Steve some time to get things organized; he hopes to start shipping products by November 1.
Karen and I would like to thank everyone for the support they gave Allen Models of Michigan.
Marty Knox
SteveR

Re: Allen Models Sold

Post by SteveR »

Hi Marty,

Before I started my Allen 2-8-0, I went to visit Gene. I was very impressed by his huge and well organized inventory. But I recognized even then that this is a big investment just sitting waiting for people to purchase. And in my case, it was one section at a time - not very fast money. Is this the biggest challenge? What other challenges are there?

Thanks for taking care of the business.
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
xo18thfa

Post by xo18thfa »

Marty, first off, many thanks for taking over Allen Models and keeping a great product strong for our hobby. And thanks for continued support.

Congratulations to Steve and best wishes. Allen Models is in great hands. I've known Steve for years. He built my Shay from Ken's castings. He does quality work and has a solid business sense. My son and I will be in Minden next weekend to help Steve get organized.

vr Bob Sorenson
Bob Sorenson, Harrisburg, South Dakota
wmegilljr

Post by wmegilljr »

Steve Alley is a great man to deal with and an even better builder and supplier. He has built me a Shay and he has rebuilt two other locomotives for me. Allen Models is in great hands

Attached is a photo of the "Jolly Green Giant" Steve rebuilt from the driving box's up.
Attachments
IMG_00000977.jpg
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

SteveR wrote:Hi Marty,

Before I started my Allen 2-8-0, I went to visit Gene. I was very impressed by his huge and well organized inventory. But I recognized even then that this is a big investment just sitting waiting for people to purchase. And in my case, it was one section at a time - not very fast money. Is this the biggest challenge? What other challenges are there?

Thanks for taking care of the business.
SteveR
Steve that was not the biggest challenge. I think the biggest challenge was dealing with foundries. The first foundry we tried here in Michigan couldn't make the cylinders - they kept burning up the cores. We have a foundry close by who does beautiful work; they are a low volume, high quality foundry - which translates into high prices.
Shipping is another challenge. When we first tried the USPS flat rate boxes not all the castings made it to the customers. We ended up using thin plywood boxes inside the Priority Mail boxes.
Marketing or advertising these days requires using the Internet and taking credit cards - which we didn't like dealing with.
But the main reason we decided to sell was that it was taking too much time from our family and Ridge Locomotive Works. I am supposed to be semi-retired, but it sure didn't feel that way!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wow! Big news.
Thank you Marty, for your role in continuing the Allen Models line. You provided me with excellent advice and service for the small amount I needed. I understand the need to simplify one's dealings in life.

'Glad to hear that Steve Alley is taking on this line. I believe he has access to a good foundry in that region, so I hope all goes well for him.
Carry on,
~Russ
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi Marty
When I first heard you were taking over the line from Gene I thought to myself, He doesn’t know what trouble it will be. Making one or two castings for a special project here and there is one thing but making stock is another.

This is the very reason I gave up the original Mercer Line years ago. It was a constant battle with the foundries. They just about destroy your cash flow. Someone would order a pair of trucks which uses eight wheels. I would go to the 55 gal barrel that was full of wheels and there would only be seven left. That meant I would have to buy a full 55 gallon drum (300) wheels just to fill the order. Right now I have standing orders for Mercer couplers. It just is not worth the money out lay to satify a few orders. I just don’t make money and that is the very reason for being in the supply business.

At present I am working on bring back the Reading 0-4-0. I have a considerable amount of capitol tied up in ten sets of casting in hopes that I sell just eight of them. This is the big question. I will eventually sell them but it may take several years to do it.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Hello to all Allen Model owners and interested future buyers.

To let all to know Allen Models is in transit , Delivery this next week, I will need until Nov 1st before any shipping can be expected. The orders that were recently order during the move will be priority and parts pulled to be ship ASAP.

As Marty said in his post Castings were the most difficult part of the process to this hobby. I believe the foundry that will be use can handle these castings, and they don't require large orders that brake the bank.

In the future I will set up the Web site to except credit card orders and have pdf files to down load the prices list. Catalogs will also be avalible in the future with some thing extra that can be use for the builder. As a builder myself the needs for reference is a must and I hope to have this on the site also.

Alley Supply Co is my main business, retail sales of Jet Machinery for over 30 years. Also manufacture of optical bore site equipment for 58 years. The company is much older then myself. This move to Live steam hobby business has been something that I have look into for quite some time. I hope to continue to bring a product to this hobby with a comfort and constant trust of high quality. Unlike, (buy today or it will not be there tomorrow) attitude. There is only a few in this hobby like American Model Engineering that has product on the self and can ship out today. I hope to bring this to Allen Models of Nevada for you the costumer.

Thank You Allen Models of Nevada
P.O. Box 848
Steve Alley Gardnerville, Nv.89410
775-782-3800
John_S

Post by John_S »

Marty_Knox wrote: But the main reason we decided to sell was that it was taking too much time from our family and Ridge Locomotive Works. I am supposed to be semi-retired, but it sure didn't feel that way!
Marty, that is the only reason I would ever need to understand your reason for passing the business on. Family should always come first!

Steve Alley wrote:Hello to all Allen Model owners and interested future buyers.

To let all to know Allen Models is in transit , Delivery this next week, I will need until Nov 1st before any shipping can be expected. The orders that were recently order during the move will be priority and parts pulled to be ship ASAP.
Steve, I'm glad you've picked it up. This goes to show that there are enough talented, dedicated individuals out there that will never let the Allen products fall into obscurity. Harpur/Allen locomotives are quite the backbone in this hobby and it would be devastating if they ever passed on.
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Allen Models is getting closer to reopening its doors.

Received ABF freight truck on Friday the 9th. unload truck, Saturday the 10th with help from Bob and Andy Soreson put up all the shelf's. Sunday the 11th Started putting inventor back onto shelf and thought it was going to take at lease 3 days. But with the help of Kim Reichold we got 90% up and still need to shift a few things around but I could pull parts now.
Still need to get the office things done. Like invoicing and such but all in all I am a week ahead of what I thought it would take. Just to let people know there will be a new look to the web site in the future. New Catalog to put out. Web site may be set up to down load PDFs file for price sheet. Other extras to be announce later. Talk to suppliers in the business for there input and product to add to ALLEN MODELS.
As of now Marty & Karen keep a good inventory and stock level, Like always there is a few items that need boosting up. So the hard work will be-- to pull patterns and get them fix up to get good product from them. I already have a great cast iron foundry, will be in contact with the aluminum and brass (red Iron) Bronze foundry soon. Allen Models did not have any Lost wax molds. So I am good there, But had that covered also.
Just to let you all know, give me another week to start ship your orders. Marty received a few orders that were turn over during this process that I have to fill ASAP.

Thank You Happy Rails to You

Steve Alley--- (Head floor sweeper).