HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: HUNSLET QUARRY ENGINE BUILD

Post by Fred_V »

kvom wrote:Are you going to bring the chassis to CSP&P meet? Would love to see it "in person".
No, not this time; can't get both engines in the truck. I hope to have it finished by the spring meet.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Here is the smokebox. I really like the way the Brits deal with the door; so easy to open and close.

The door casting is a poor fit to the boss on the front casting. I was not able to get the 1/4" bolts called for to fit so I drilled it at 3/16" and put in a long pin. on the inside the plans called for little tabs to hold the crossbar that holds the door closed. I made them from angle iron so that the crossbar won't move sideways.

The shaft on the plans called for the inner handle to have a .290" square hole to fit over a 5/16" thread on the outer handle. That won't work. I used 1/4-28 for the outer handle.
Attachments
smokebox3.JPG
smokebox door3.JPG
smokebox door.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

The boiler will ship next week from Marty Knox. YEA!
I'm ready for it and have been working on some of the plumbing bits. Here is a vid of the safety valve on air. I'm trying to get it to stop buzzing but have had no luck so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuNMq5wukjY

Here is what's inside.
Suggestions welcome.
Attachments
valve body.png
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

These are the turret valves for injectors and blower. Superscale is out of injectors till next year sometime so I made fittings to accept the Ohlenkamp injector off my other engine and to fit the British unit. The boiler checks mount about 20 deg. below centerline so as to have access to the ball with the saddle tank mounted above.
Attachments
IMG_1128.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Fred_V wrote:I'm trying to get it to stop buzzing but have had no luck so far.
Fred, the way I fixed the buzzing on my converted Kingston pneumatic safeties was to make the clearance between the spring and the inside diameter of the valve body as small as possible without affecting performance. I also made the nut taller and the clearance for the stem closer so it has a better vertical guide.

I found with the Kingston valves the buzzing comes from the stem moving in a circular motion, or wobbling, when lifted as steam is rushing past.

Here's my thread on it: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 17#p304617
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Thanks John. I remember reading your posts on that. This design is a bit different in that it is not a ball seating over a hole. The valve part has a flat seat surface and guided by wings below the seat to attempt to prevent wobbling; not to say it works since you have to have some clearance in there. I think that the valve is popping open and the spring being under higher pressure is forcing it shut again and steam pressure is popping it open again etc. So you get rapid open/shut buzz. I want to play with different spring rates and see what that does.

I'll have my other engine at a meet soon and I've got a ball valve setup to put in the dome so I can test it on steam and see what it does. That may stop the buzzing since the density of steam will make a difference. I'll report back.

Here is a close up of the valve. As the valve just starts to lift the steam hits the curved area above the seat (annular chamber) which causes the pop and should hold the valve open.
Long learning curve here.
Attachments
valve.png
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Now for the smokebox rear casting. My lathe won't swing it so I borrowed Bill Cleary's big rotary table with huge 1/2" plate. Worked great. Still need to turn the outside of the flange.
Attachments
smoke box machining.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Waiting for the boiler to get here so I started on the water tank. I bought some .032" brass sheet and started bashing out the end panels. This takes some time and patience. The shoulders want to bunch up and when they do I cut slits into the brass to let the metal bend over and shrink. On the bottom concave radius the metal has to stretch so that is easy going.
Attachments
water tank end.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Looks like fun Fred. You cannot built a British engine without a bit of plate work.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Yes. I built a brass tank for the Sweet William engine too. It's a fun project and makes a nice tank.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Smokebox fitting together. I make a strip of junk metal to use as a drilling guide. This really gets the holes spaced correctly. The first fitup in the frame to see about squareness. The boiler arrives Monday so I can start fitting it to the smokebox.
Making good progress.
Attachments
smokebox fit2.JPG
smokebox fit.JPG
smokebox drilling.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

The boiler arrived today and looks fantastic. Marty is a real craftsman. The smokebox fits perfect and now I'll fit the throttle and dry pipe. I'm getting excited!!
Attachments
boiler smoke.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.