Jet 1430 What Have I gotten into?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Richard_W

Re: Jet 1430 What Have I gotten into?

Post by Richard_W »

mechanicalmagic wrote:Up a few posts, this was called a "A1-5 chuck mount".
Thought I'd post the dimensions for all to see.

American Chuck Mounts

Dave J.
The funny thing with this lathe is the spindle has the A1-5 mount, but doesn't have all the drilled and tapped hole it should have. I thought that was an odd thing for a lathe manufacturer to do! So you just can't go and get any A1-5 chuck to mount, because you are limited to using the adapter plates. Still a real nice lathe even with some of its unusual features. Now if you were to drill and tap the needed holes in the spindle then a whole world of options open up.

Richard W.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

It is in fact a A1-5 as there are four allen headed bolts holding the back plate to the spindle. The notch in the side of the chrome ring is to allow the bolts to be removed from the plate by lining them up with the notch.

So I assume now to fit a faceplate or four jaw cuck I need to find them and machine the backs to fit the plate and then drill and tap for the bolts.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
dly31

Post by dly31 »

The backplate should stay with the chuck and any other accessories should fit the bare spindle. Each chuck should have its own backplate and faceplates are generally machined to fit the spindle directly without a backplate. It is certainly possible to use a single backplate with multiple chucks, faceplates, etc., but I have never heard of anyone doing it that way. You would have to machine the back of each chuck and 4 jaw chucks generally take a different style of backplate from 3 jaw chucks. The common interface point should be the bare A1-5 spindle.
Don Young
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

boy you have a fine morphadite kettle of fish in that chuck mound

here are some pics of 3 common mounts
http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page9.html

all the usual suspect are present
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

Have you found the manual yet? I had the same problem finding one for my newly acquired 1236PS So I called them (I think 1.800.274.6846) and asked expecting to have to pay for it. She emailed it free! Hopefully that will work for you.

If memory serves there was a little confusion as to which I needed so she sent all that she thought might be applicable and got me the manual.

Steve
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thanks for the input. I have not found anything on the lathe to date. I will give them a call next week. I assume I will need the model and seriel number handy when I call

Luck is with me though as everything seems to be there and it all works. I have made a few small parts on it but have been holding off till I could get it all leveled up and clean it.

I have had a couple of people ask about buying it but to be honest I like having it in the shop. It gives me a backup and also has a different capability having the gapped bed.

I have set it behind the Southbend and split off my three phase to it and a Bridgeport.

The idler motor is under the Southbend and fairly quiet.
DSC_0171.jpg
DSC_0118.jpg

Charlie
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Nancy at JET

Post by Nancy at JET »

Hi

I have a Manual for the JET 1430 Engine Lathe with specifications; and if anyone is interested in obtaining a copy, I can be emailed at
nmaccara@jetgroupbrands.com and I will scan and email you the manual
It's years old, but in great shape for emailing

Also a parts list for a JET 1024 Bench Lathe with specifications

Nancy
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Cool! I don't have any Jet equipment (yet... 8) ), but it is always nice when someone connected to a company participates in a board like this.

Welcome and thanks for the support!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Why is "Ebay blue" so popular? Is that color cheaper than other paints?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I like that workshop...
pete

Post by pete »

Charlie I think I know what you meant when you mentioned "sanding it down", but just to be 100% clear you were talking about the painted areas correct?

And Nancy at Jet, that certainly shows some excellent customer service on your part. That's more than rare today even though emails are so much easier than snail mail was, yet company's were still willing to do the same as you have before computers. Any chance of your bosses email address so I can let him know how impressed I am? If you'd rather you can send it in a pm to keep it off the net.

Pete
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I hate to say this, but that blue really looks out of place in your shop, chuckle. Good pick-up
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers