First Allen 0-4-0 Completed

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

First Allen 0-4-0 Completed

Post by Marty_Knox »

The first Allen 0-4-0 is finished! If the weather is good enough I will deliver it to the new owners tomorrow. I started it in January 2014, took 7 months off to finish my RGS 20, had it on display for Train Mountain, and have now completed it. Here it is with my granddaughter, Megan.
Attachments
256.JPG
255.JPG
Marty_Knox

Re: First Allen 0-4-0 Completed

Post by Marty_Knox »

Some more 0-4-0 pictures.
Attachments
238.JPG
241.JPG
243.JPG
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

It sure does look nice.

What does it weigh, approximately? Also, at one time you talked about reducing the bore to 1 3/4" instead of 2". Did you do that on this locomotive? I'm building an Allen American and thinking about doing that to it so that it will be a bit less slippery. With the weight on the drivers of the American, I think that the smaller bore would make it an easier engine to run without losing any pulling power.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Pontiacguy1 wrote:It sure does look nice.

What does it weigh, approximately? Also, at one time you talked about reducing the bore to 1 3/4" instead of 2". Did you do that on this locomotive? I'm building an Allen American and thinking about doing that to it so that it will be a bit less slippery. With the weight on the drivers of the American, I think that the smaller bore would make it an easier engine to run without losing any pulling power.
Thank you! It weighs right around 300#. This one has the 2" bore, the next will be 1 3/4" We added about 20 lbs of lead to the front end. The back end was heavy with that cast iron cab.
Last edited by Marty_Knox on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Captures all the beauty inherit to steam locomotives. Nice model.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Caribou Doug

Post by Caribou Doug »

Marty,

The Loco looks great and knowing the reputation you have for quality... I am sure it runs just as well! In looking at the pictures of the loco, I could not help but notice that the stand the loco is on, has a scissor lift built under one side. Could you tell me a little more about the purpose of that. I have recently built a stand for my Allen Mogul and have been contemplating building a lifting device on one side for operating the loco on air after operating. With the 3/4 scale equipment I had in the past, it was easier to jack up the frame and run it on air to make sure the cylinders were free from moisture and fresh lube pushed in. That same task becomes more challenging in the 1.5 scale equipment. Is that the purpose of the lift?

Doug
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Caribou Doug wrote:Marty,

The Loco looks great and knowing the reputation you have for quality... I am sure it runs just as well! In looking at the pictures of the loco, I could not help but notice that the stand the loco is on, has a scissor lift built under one side. Could you tell me a little more about the purpose of that. I have recently built a stand for my Allen Mogul and have been contemplating building a lifting device on one side for operating the loco on air after operating. With the 3/4 scale equipment I had in the past, it was easier to jack up the frame and run it on air to make sure the cylinders were free from moisture and fresh lube pushed in. That same task becomes more challenging in the 1.5 scale equipment. Is that the purpose of the lift?

Doug
Hi Doug! Thank you for your kind comments. That is a drop table, so I can remove one set of drivers from a large locomotive.
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Marty,

That really is a beautiful locomotive. Great work!

Todd
Erie2936

Post by Erie2936 »

Looks great Marty!
Brian Keim
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Marty,

I went over the engine at the Cabin Fever show. An excellent model especially for the beginner!!!
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Bruce_Mowbray wrote:Marty,

I went over the engine at the Cabin Fever show. An excellent model especially for the beginner!!!
Thank you, Bruce! It's gratifying to get a comment like that from a Real Steam Man!