Allen Models "New Arch Bar Trucks"

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Alley

Allen Models "New Arch Bar Trucks"

Post by Steve Alley »

Allen Models of Nevada
New Arch Bar Trucks

Let the news out that Allen Models of Nevada has come out with a new Arch Bar Truck in cast Iron that is heat treated for easy machining.
Priced at $276.00 per truck plus shipping at $24.00 which includes insurance. Sale price at $250.00 pre truck until, May 31, 2016, Still $24.00 for shipping.

Well after buying Allen Models from Marty Knox I received the Pattern for the new Arch Bar Truck castings. This is a heavy Arch Bar Truck for the Hobby in 1 1/2 in. scale. Weight is 20 lbs. with 3/4 in. axle material and 4 in wheel diameter. Side Frame material is 5/8 in. wide flat bar and uses sealed ball bearing. The journal boxes were enlarged from the old style truck to accommodate sealed ball bearings in order to eliminate the old style friction bearings.

Kit includes the following items

4 cast iron wheels
2 Axles (1144 Stress proof Material)
1 Cast Iron Center Bolster
2 Cast Iron Bolster end pedestals
4 Cast Iron Journal Boxes with covers
8 Coil Springs
2 Spring Pads
6 Pcs. Side Frame bars pre-bent
4 Sealed Ball Bearings
1 new replacement Drawing #26

Future Brake Rigging will be available as a kit which will include 4 brake shoes, 2 cross beams, laser cut hangers and 3 pivot arms to complete the truck. The brakes will be actuated using a Clippard style air cylinder or a vacuum pot as the customer wishes. Price yet to be determined. This will make for a excellent package for the scratch builder suitable for tenders and cars.

Steve Alley
Marty_Knox

Re: Allen Models "New Arch Bar Trucks"

Post by Marty_Knox »

Giving credit where credit is due, Steve Zuiderveen did a lot of the development work on these trucks. The new journal box was his idea, and he made the design and pattern.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Photos of the new truck?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Hello Steve...just want to make sure I understand the numbers. The price quoted (regular and sale price) as well as component quantities in the kit are for ONE truck only...not ONE PAIR of trucks. Correct?

As Fender noted, a few photos of the side frame (face and rear) and other views would be appreciated. Thank you. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Steve:
While at Train Mountains 2015 Triennial, I spoke with Steve Zuiderveen about the possibility of a "kit" to upgrade old Allen arch bar trucks to the new sealed ball bearing design. Specifically, 8 castings of the new axle box, plus 8 bearings, plus drawings for machining the boxes.
Is that something you are willing to sell? I am certainly hoping to purchase such a kit, and I'm sure there is an existing market for same.
Let us know, please!
And Thank you for continuing the Allen Line of locomotives!
~Russ
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

a "kit" to upgrade old Allen arch bar trucks to the new sealed ball bearing
I applied 7/8" od by 3/8" id ball bearings by boring the appropriate recess and installing a steel sleeve. I think I used Loctite to hold the sleeve.

Steve - What's the postage paid price for just the drawing? I have several sets of Allen castings and would be interested in seeing what the updated version looks like.
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

This is the picture of the New Arch Bar Truck.

Also this is sold as price for one truck not a pair price.

Steve Alley
Attachments
IMG_2960.jpg
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Yes Marty is correct give credit where credit is do! Thank to Steve V this would never have happen. Thank You Steve You did a grate job on this. Still working on Brake kit to be offered for this truck. Stay tune. This is new to me and I will make mistake now and then. I did mean to take this credit that Steve V does deserve. He put a lot of time and money into this Truck and buy this company from Marty this part is part of which I bought. Steve V deserve the development of this and many other part that makes up Allen Models. As others before me.
Thanks guys

Steve Alley
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

As far as drawing there not quite finish. I just e-mail more info to my guy for more measurement need. There has been just as much time spent on drawings as it took to make the trucks them self. But all is good and so to have all the corrections on one drawing to ship out. Price for new drawing #26 will probably be 12.50 plus postage that is unknow at this time. I just went to the P.O. and ship out a small flat rate box that was 5.95 price, new shipping price is 6.80 so go figure, lost on that one. I will start using on line USPS to stop or correct this from happening.
Also there will be a new pattern board made just for the conversion of old truck castings to the new style 1 center bolster M306 32.00, 2 end bolsters M307 22.00, 4 journal boxes M302 80.00 and 4 Roller Ball Bearings M301 30.00 . Price total per truck $164.00

Steve Alley
kcjones611

Post by kcjones611 »

Steve,
Will you still have the old style journal box and (more importantly) lids available or are these discontinued?

Thanks for keeping a great product line going!!
Nick P.
Chattanooga, TN

Jesse Livingston's "Newbie"
Allen Models Mogul, #573
Backyard Rails/MDM F7A & B, Southern Pacific #6351

Too many other projects to think about.
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Yes I will still have the old journal boxes and part available for those that need replacement, But I will most likely not re-pore or replace stock of these. Not to many lids left. These are not that good anyway. If you are interrested in these contact me, I will send pictures of the castings so you can see what they look like.

Steve
little giant

Post by little giant »

I would like to get a pair of these trucks. Are these kits available now or just accepting orders?